BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Are there enough Scottish Marathons???

13 watchers
May 2011
2:11pm, 2 May 2011
588 posts
shanksi
Seriously, I would have thought that a cheapish, no-frills marathon in Perthshire might just attract enough support to make it viable - it's close enough and fairly well connected for travel from the bigger cities, and the scenery's pretty good in those parts which is always a bonus. If you could get sponsorship (Grouse again, Crieff Hydro maybe), you could probably also offer decent prizes and goody bags which makes a big difference as well.

I'd probably consider it, depending what else it clashed with of course.
May 2011
2:19pm, 2 May 2011
14841 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Shoe lace - welcome to Fetch!

I would say you're absolutely right - more Scottish maras pls!

Can I ask about these island and Dunfermline marathons of which you speak, hippo? Is that recently? There are 5 island half mara series. West Lothian and Dunfermline and Glasgow used to have marathons, but now only have halves, I thought?

I think Central Scotland, quite low-key, like the Lochaber marathon but with quieter roads, if poss, would be brill. Could it go through some villages? Like Alloa half goes on a wee tour of the locale. It's ace.

Ooh, Invent-A-Marathon - this is a great game. Go on then - everyone put in their preferences for a perfect Scottish marathon. Go... :-)G
May 2011
2:19pm, 2 May 2011
14842 posts
HappyG(rrr)
Are you Strathearn Harriers, btw? Stickland (buddy and work colleage) has joined Harriers in last 6 months and also lives in Crieff, I think. :-)G
May 2011
2:25pm, 2 May 2011
21503 posts
Foxy Davy
there was a triple in 2008 with Edinburgh in the middle - I believe the venues were Harris & Tweed ?
May 2011
2:28pm, 2 May 2011
589 posts
shanksi
I thought HappyG(rrr) was saying that the alloa half went on a wee tour of locals. Now that would be ace.
May 2011
2:31pm, 2 May 2011
4618 posts
SpicedApple
Welcome, Shoelace!

Invent-A-Marathon is a fun game. I'd like one on trails with nice scenery, low entry fee, good weather and acessible by public transport, please. :-)
May 2011
2:39pm, 2 May 2011
3376 posts
katypie
Hello shoelace. I love the Crieff 10k. :-). Anyway. Enough marathons? Is there such a thing?
May 2011
2:48pm, 2 May 2011
21507 posts
Foxy Davy
there might be enough on October 9th ?! ;)
May 2011
2:51pm, 2 May 2011
3377 posts
katypie
Spill
May 2011
2:54pm, 2 May 2011
2414 posts
scottynbn
Hi shoelace. I guess the problems with marathons is impressions of road closures, infrastructures, logistics etc. Yet in Tyneside they seem to manage to put on quite a few on coastal trails or on the Town Moor. So it`s possible. We have our own (free!) fetch Edinburgh 10k and Melrose Hill Challenge races on an annual basis, so I guess it just needs folk who are willing to organise bigger (and longer :-) ) versions

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
By my reckoning there are only 5 marathons in Scotland currently:

1. Loch Ness

2. Edinburgh