Any Board Games Fans?

47 watchers
Feb 2022
4:57pm, 8 Feb 2022
11 posts
  •  
Stander
I'm losing the will to live with these. I ventured into miniature games very late in life because I can't paint.

It's something I've been working on for a couple of years now. I think I'm getting there slowly.

This is for A Song of Ice and Fire.
Feb 2022
4:58pm, 8 Feb 2022
12 posts
  •  
Stander
And the backside:-

Feb 2022
4:59pm, 8 Feb 2022
13 posts
  •  
Stander
They are taking me forever to do - hence the losing the will to live comment.
Feb 2022
9:14pm, 8 Feb 2022
24,289 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That looks really good. Do you use brush or air brush?
Feb 2022
9:43pm, 8 Feb 2022
14 posts
  •  
Stander
Brush.

I don’t own an air brush.
Feb 2022
10:42pm, 8 Feb 2022
24,290 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
A lot of years ago I had a mate who painted 1:72 scale model aircraft with an air brush. I was amazed at the fine detail he was able to create.
Feb 2022
9:10am, 9 Feb 2022
893 posts
  •  
The Mussile
Stander It took me many years to get to a standard I am happy with. I tend to follow a lot of youtube channels like Squidmar, MS_paints and Lyla Mev for tips and just keep practicing. I don't paint specifically for games (except Warhammer Underworlds) just as a way to relax though

You paint to a good standard already based on those pictures. I dont know whether its just the photo quality but to my very amateur eye it looks like you could do with thinning your paint a bit more. The colours are also a bit flat and could do with more contrast. You could try using black lining technique between the riders legs and the saddle cloth for example.

Something like Army Painter speedpaint (cheapish) or Citadel Contrast (not cheap) paint can also be very good for creating a one coat base/highlight/shade over a light undercoat. Another cheat method can be to prime black and then spray white lightly down from above from rattle cans which will mimic the way light works creating shadow naturally as you paint layers over them.

Far far better painters out there than myself and you might know all this already
Feb 2022
11:41am, 9 Feb 2022
15 posts
  •  
Stander
Part of the problem is the camera quality and I don't have a light box to take better photos in.

The contrast shows a little better in person, however this is a figure primarily painted in various shades of brown depending whether it's leather, cloth or horse, so I was aware that it wouldn't have huge amounts of contrast so I am accepting of this.

Where the limited opportunities for non brown exist (skin, sword, severed heads, the odd bit of metalwork, etc) I've tried tried to accentuate them where possible.
Feb 2022
12:04pm, 9 Feb 2022
895 posts
  •  
The Mussile
As I said I think its a really good job despite of the photo and you certainly paint horses much better than I can, I never have got the hang of doing them. It can be difficult when you end up with lots of similar colours to not end up with a bland finish when its a fairly realistic setting compared to high fantasy (LOTR or warhammer etc.) and you have done a really good job there.

it often comes down to whether you want to paint them to improve the immersiveness of the game or whether you are painting them for quality. It can also be easy to fall between the two posts and spend way too much time painting things that no-one will notice when you have 100 models but doesn't meet your own standards for displaying on its own where people might notice the ropier bits. My problem is I am a perfectionist without anywhere near the talent to create my vision with these things.
Mar 2022
10:25am, 29 Mar 2022
16 posts
  •  
Stander
I’ve been cracking on with doing some more work for the Song of Ice and Fire game.

About This Thread

Maintained by MisterTea
Any other board games fans out there on Fetch? Any recommendations for some great games?