Amsterdam Marathon

29 watchers
Oct 2011
2:16pm, 16 Oct 2011
9,138 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Well I thought was quite a nice route with the river and the park. Far too sodding crowded though, all the way to 25k for me. Could have shaved a few minutes off my 3:43 without the congestion and two loo break.

Great to see so many Fetchies out today, I saw loads, and zero 100 club vests.

Massive congrats to Chiefy for a 3 minute PB, the speedy bastard ran 3:09 :-)
Oct 2011
3:29pm, 16 Oct 2011
1,613 posts
  •  
ndellar
Yes, I thought the route was nice. I have been resigned to the fact a pb was probably not on so I decided to use the force and not worry about it. A nice 4.22 and lots of crowd support. It was a bit crowded but once I got back round past the windmill near the river it thinned out a bit.

Saw Mrs Jigs on other side of road looking great, met another Fetchie at about 19 miles but totally forgotten his name (sorry). Did see a hundred clubber I though was Jim M at first but on a double take it wasn't!

Gratifying to be overtaking the Euro-joggers in their strange outfits in the last 6 miles who had all sped off at the start. Tortoise and Hare and all that

Brilliant :) and well done all esp Cheify!
Oct 2011
9:25pm, 16 Oct 2011
6,017 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Saw Mrs Jigs and Mr K at the start and Chief at the end, I was really chuffed for him. The Fetchie on Eurosport would have been Big Al Widepants and I crossed the line with him! Managed a 27 minute peeb with 3:48, chuffed to bits with that.

Brilliant course and great organisation, really enjoyed it apart from the water station where people were just getting a drink and stopping immediately in front of me.
Oct 2011
12:50pm, 17 Oct 2011
576 posts
  •  
Rick OShay
I saw Mr K before the off and shouted to both Mrs Jigs (she looked strong) on one of the many switch backs.

Also shouted encouragement to two Fetchies who were on the other side of the canal to me. I was headed north after the halfway mark and they were heading south

A great race, but needlessly cramped in places and yes, the water stations were a zoo. The sports drink was called 'Aa' which was very much like the noises I am making today
Oct 2011
12:53pm, 17 Oct 2011
5,172 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Well done everyone :)

NP - loads of 100 clubbers at Abingdon yesterday. I think that must be where they all were ;)
Oct 2011
9:26pm, 17 Oct 2011
2,555 posts
  •  
longboat
I thought it was a good race - I went as part of a club outing and had a cracking time, but running a 9 minute pb is always going to skew the view.

Overall I thought it was well organised - I have never known water stations to be anything over than a zoo in a big race!

One criticism though is the over-zealousness of the officials - I saw a club-mate being carried into the stadium, but was physically stopped from getting to her or back into the stadium to help her! In the end we had to go into the stadium via the bar windows on the south side, just to make sure she was OK (which she was, eventually). Just after that, having finally got to the drinks (a long way from the finish!) the guy in front of me asked for a second sports drink, and was told where to go!
Oct 2011
1:24pm, 18 Oct 2011
1,228 posts
  •  
katec
I had a 13 minute pb :-)

Ive put a photo in the gallery for Alex and Running Postie of our very quiet meet up in the pub.
Oct 2011
2:08pm, 18 Oct 2011
15,612 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
photos are up at marathonpoto
Oct 2011
3:19pm, 18 Oct 2011
2,556 posts
  •  
longboat
some big bloke in an orange t-shirt blocking my finish line video - should have beaten him!

Didn't mention the other good point - a bar that was not too busy overlooking the finish chute - very civilised for a beer or two...
Oct 2011
3:47pm, 18 Oct 2011
15,621 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
ha ha some funny ones of me - post finish massive grin 2543

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
Amsterdam 2011

cafeholeinthewall.nl - For post-race drinks