You do know you can run in snow *snow , don't you?! ;-)

11 watchers
Dec 2017
5:29pm, 12 Dec 2017
27,927 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
Lol Badger! Mad is sitting indoors when you could have been out for a nice, refreshing run!

Well done WS. A good tale of proper running through the cold snap! :-) G
Dec 2017
10:58am, 13 Dec 2017
27,930 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
All gone...?
Dec 2017
11:27am, 13 Dec 2017
4,106 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
It's milder here today and ironically that's made things worse. I've happily been running on snowy pavements but now the crunchy layer has melted leaving sheet ice underneath. Off to attempt to find some clear pavements on my lunchtime run, have no socks/crampons/yacktracks or option to go further afield, so will just have to see how I get on!
Dec 2017
11:33am, 13 Dec 2017
9,120 posts
  •  
Merry Chris-Maz Heeps
TAKE CARE NOMI....!
(sorry caps lock was on, but i do care, so not changing it!)
Dec 2017
11:44am, 13 Dec 2017
9,121 posts
  •  
Merry Chris-Maz Heeps
We made an early call to do parlaufs and some playing field games with the jogscotland group on monday night, and it was the first time a lot of people had even ran in the snow, so we wanted to make it safe and fun.

effort increased, speed decreased, mileage decreased but everyone was really chuffed and felt pretty hardcore for being out and getting it done! Hopefully they will feel better equipped to go out themselves next time

re the gloves, i tend to just double up on a couple of regular pairs if it is bitter, and usually finish wearing none!!!

i have Adidas Kanadia trail shoes which have served me well over the worst winter days for a few years now... and I wear them as my snow day get to work shoes too.. so they have paid for themselves by now. I'm not sure i would invest in an expensive pair on a cost per wear basis!

I layer up, technical base of some kind, and usually a warmer running sweater or hoosy. Never been a fan of jackets.
Dec 2017
11:46am, 13 Dec 2017
17,259 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
The remnants of the massive snowball my next door neighbour's kids made (2 doors down) is still left.

In the middle of our drive 😆
Dec 2017
1:03pm, 16 Dec 2017
17,313 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yesterday. 0c snowing. Muddy field. Drills plus 12 sets of flying 30s. 4 miles.

Today. Forsty and snow. Raining at the end. 7 miles. Mimble across fields and cansl towpath. Cruncy. No slips.

4 layers hat and gloves. Leggings.
Dec 2017
1:06pm, 16 Dec 2017
11,555 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Pavements here were treacherous! Headed for as much off-road as we could and we managed to stay on our feet. My legs are feeling it though!
Dec 2017
1:25pm, 16 Dec 2017
17,316 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I think i have been running off road only for about 10 days. Mainly on snow/ice.

I should run a XC race 😆
Dec 2017
3:07pm, 16 Dec 2017
2,435 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
After encountering sheet ice yesterday, even on grassy, muddy old railway line, then I stuck to a completely iced up minor road today and put the yaktrax on - they were perfect, felt as safe on hard frozen water run-off from the fields as if I had microspikes on, but they were also acceptable on some barer parts where microspikes would have been uncomfortable.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I keep reading blogs and posts and comments saying how folk have run on treadmills or cancelled thei...