You do know you can run in snow *snow , don't you?! ;-)

11 watchers
Dec 2017
1:26pm, 11 Dec 2017
27,901 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & Happy New G(rrr)
I keep reading blogs and posts and comments saying how folk have run on treadmills or cancelled their run because of the snow. You do know it's possible to run in snow, don't you people?

So such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. And all that!

This is not a slagging, just a gentle encouragement, I think. So, here's G's top tips for snowy running:

1. decorate Get off the road (and pavements). Find the hills and trails. The grip under snow and even with some ice, is much better on a trail.
2. blueshoes The right shoes and/or running spikes will give you the grip you need - even on icy pavements, but better still in deep snow up hills (see 1. above!)
3. tea Stay safe - wrap up warm, wear layers, have extra layers, have a charged phone with signal, have your head torch, have a foil blanket or bivvy bag (£5 from your local outdoor shop and light enough to go in bum bag or small rucksack).

4. snow Enjoy - it's lovely out there.

Other tips may be available. Add your own. Enjoy your running in the snow (I can tell you my fave snow spikes, warm layers etc. if you're interested). Stay safe and happy folks! :-) G
Dec 2017
1:38pm, 11 Dec 2017
4,235 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I think, given how rarely it actually snows, getting the right kit is a bit expensive for how infrequently it would be used...which is why a lot of people choose a treadmill.

There's also the challenge of if you don't live near trail, and it's too slippy to take the car out, how are you meant to get to the safety of off road in the first place?

I didn't run, but then I didn't plan to, so nothing lost here. Binks ran. In shorts. He only slipped over a couple of times on the trails.
Dec 2017
1:41pm, 11 Dec 2017
46,461 posts
  •  
swittle
An obvious one, G: tell someone you're off out running and what your ETA back will be.

Running through snow is likely to tire you more quickly than on trails. The resitance adds up.

Hat & gloves are essentials: easily stored in a jkt if you get too warm.

Don't underestimate the depth of snow - you can take a nasty fall.
Dec 2017
1:58pm, 11 Dec 2017
11,525 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Agree :)G - the RR crew were down to below 20 runners on Saturday for the first time in 12 months and after a flurry of panic messages along the lines of 'is it cancelled?'. We didn't have any actual snow at this point...
I usually wear trail shoes, slow down and head off road - or even just stick to verges rather than pavements where appropriate. In real snow and slush I have been known to run in the road, where gritted and generally find motorists are tolerant as they can see why.
Dec 2017
1:58pm, 11 Dec 2017
27,902 posts
  •  
Hiya WL. Long time no ... forum-interact (or whatev it is we do in here!) *waves* How are Binks's book sales going this Christmas?!

Good point switts. I nearly put that one but two things
i. (I suspect you are in similar age bracket to me ?! ) the Younglings just phone each other, never both with prior arrangements and;
ii. My lovely missus, MrsS(rrr) once had a wee note left for her saying, "I'm up the hills, left c. 2pm, expected back 4pm. Route rounghly here, there, here. Call Mountain Rescue if I'm very overdue." When I came back about 6pm I said, "I'm so sorry, hope you weren't worried sick because I was out too long." And she said, "Oh, were you out?" :-O

Good points WL about not eaveryone can get to trails (just move out of your concrete jungles then! ;-) ) and while it doesn't snow much, it is icy, cold and slightly snowy / wet slushy really quite a lot in Britain. Why write off Oct - March?!

And a treadmill cost £1000 to buy. Or £1000 a year a t gym. Just buy 200 uid of kit and it will last you YEARS!!! bell Jingle bells everyone! :-) G
J2R
Dec 2017
1:59pm, 11 Dec 2017
913 posts
  •  
J2R
Bizarrely effective kit tip, which will probably cost you nothing. When there is snow and ice lying on the ground, pull a pair of old woolen socks over your running shoes. What happens is that the snow sticks to the fabric and then, as you land, momentarily binds to the snow/ice on the ground, snowball style. I've gone running at high-ish (6 mins/mile) pace on compacted snow doing this. It's the same principle as the fabric snow socks for tyres.
Dec 2017
2:00pm, 11 Dec 2017
27,903 posts
  •  
Nice one AL. And even in concrete jungles, there must be parks and bits of green that our now snow covered. Run there instead of on pavements. Much nicer. :-) G
Dec 2017
2:05pm, 11 Dec 2017
11,526 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
J2R that is a good tip!
Dec 2017
2:10pm, 11 Dec 2017
27,904 posts
  •  
That's a good tip J2R. I will try it some time. But does it work on sheet ice? I run in these - you can run up a 45 degree sheet of ice in them. Fab! Only downside is it does have to be full cover. Like XC or track spikes, they don't work well if they hit tarmac!

climbers-shop.com
J2R
Dec 2017
2:18pm, 11 Dec 2017
914 posts
  •  
J2R
Not tried on sheet ice, to be honest. I do have some pull on crampon things which do work well on ice, but I find them a bit heavy which affects my running enjoyment (although probably less than a broken arm or cracked skull would).

Fortunately, I do have another money-saving tip for ice! I've done this with a pair of old running shoes and it works really well: mensjournal.com

I don't use them that often, though, because as you observed with your devices, running on tarmac in them isn't great, and it's not often than I get unbroken snow or ice from my front door.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I keep reading blogs and posts and comments saying how folk have run on treadmills or cancelled thei...