Would I benefit from joining a running club?

9 watchers
Apr 2013
12:45pm, 29 Apr 2013
292 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
I got a reply back this morning :) I think I might try and get there on Wednesday fingers crossed I dont chicken out!

Jo London hope you get a reply back soon.

Sharkie lol at 2 of them!
Apr 2013
5:29pm, 29 Apr 2013
38 posts
  •  
col griffo
Its up to the individual if you don't mind running with people it will more likely suit you,but some people like running on their own so it's your decision 😉
Apr 2013
5:39pm, 29 Apr 2013
651 posts
  •  
Longwayround (LWR)
I'm the sort of person who enjoys spending just enough time with other people and not a moment more. Fortunately, my running club is just sociable enough for me and I'm quite happy to spend time chasing my way up to the front of the group and then recovering as we loop back to our stalwart slow runner (who could run forever, just not very quickly). My running's improved significantly and I've discovered more and more new routes.

Nobody's expected to sign up in any great hurry. Officially everyone gets two weeks to try it out. Unofficially, longer times are quite normal.
Apr 2013
7:48pm, 29 Apr 2013
227 posts
  •  
Craig_
So after much putting off, I've just emailed my local running club asking if I can come to a few of their sessions to try them out before signing up. Hopefully get to go tomorrow or Thursday....
Apr 2013
9:28pm, 29 Apr 2013
295 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Col griffo, I quite like running on my own but not good at pushing myself, besides I'm a chatterbox so other people once in a whilst should suit me :)

Lwr the stalwart at the back is soon to become me well where I'm going anyways :)

Craig, fab news let us know how you get on.
Apr 2013
2:38pm, 30 Apr 2013
48 posts
  •  
Griffo
NSL I run marathons but I am not in a club,I do all my training on my own,that's me thou but I think I will join my l r club,when the time is right.
Apr 2013
3:35pm, 30 Apr 2013
987 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I train with two clubs, and race with one of them. I find it useful for motivating me to get out of evenings, when time may otherwise flit away, especially in the depths of winter. It's great for finding out about the local race scene if that appeals, and developing some friendly rivalry. It's also great for the social aspect.

It is worth working out how it fits with your training and aims though. My main club's training is too broken and inconsistent to have much value as a speed or tempo session, so I extend the approach and turn it into a lsr. The other club does a weekly track/interval session so I usually join that, but it depends on the weekends racing. It's a case of seeing how it best works for you.
Apr 2013
3:38pm, 30 Apr 2013
3,157 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I joined one (outside of FERC) a month back. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed it, though am skipping tonight's session as four times a week, including one set of intervals, seems a bit too much for my knee. And as a newbie to the area, it's been great in helping my find routes etc. And stopping me getting lost!

They only tend to run up to 10km though, so not sure if it'll help when it comes to me upping mileage for marathon training.

Anyway, answer to the question is "yes", in my humble opinion.
Apr 2013
3:49pm, 30 Apr 2013
14,173 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No chance of getting an informal group together for a long 'un on a Sunday? We don't have any "official" long weekend group runs, but we arrange them amongst ourselves, and I'm always happy to trot round with someone new if they meet my group's "demographic" - and if they don't I'll put them in contact with a group that does.
Apr 2013
4:24pm, 30 Apr 2013
3,158 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
The club already doeas a run on a Sunday. Three weeks out of four it's a (very enjoyable) 10-12km on a different route each time. The final Sunday of each month sees a Handicap 10km. All good fun, just not the long runs I'll need.

Very selfish for me to want them to change plans just for my training though!

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi All

I have been running for the last 18 months or so, regular at parkrun which I love. I seem ...