Would I benefit from joining a running club?

9 watchers
Mar 2013
9:28pm, 25 Mar 2013
8,463 posts
  •  
fleecy
Most clubs do Sunday morning runs, Doooooooooogs. And go for it, JL, most clubs are pretty friendly and it's nice to run with other people :)
Mar 2013
9:36pm, 25 Mar 2013
214 posts
  •  
_2Jabs_
after a year of running, i joined my local club.

best decision i ever made (except getting married :) )

everyone is supportive & on the same page - brilliant community.
Apr 2013
5:50pm, 4 Apr 2013
250 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
It's lovely to see so many if you see positive benefits having joined a club. I still haven't taken the plunge, but your tempting me :)
Apr 2013
7:53pm, 4 Apr 2013
8,390 posts
  •  
mulbs
I went for the first time on Tuesday to my local running club- did chasebacks on the track - a new experience for me (as the slowest runner by a long chalk chasebacks were the only chance I have ever had of crossing the finish line first!
Apr 2013
8:54pm, 4 Apr 2013
128 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Did we find out who the £30 a month club is? Happy to hear by PM if you don't want to attract controversy.

I can't think of any downside of joining a club provided the rate is sensible... even the bizarre passive-aggressive Fmail I received a few weeks ago from Some Asshat that ended in the expression, "good club you're with", doesn't make me wish I wasn't a member of it. If anything the opposite.

Also, most of the big athletics clubs that harbour superstar elite runners usually have a healthy group of people who just want to run and enjoy it, so I wouldn't shy away from them if that's your local club.
Apr 2013
8:55pm, 4 Apr 2013
129 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
I meant "...wouldn't *necessarily* shy away..."

Slight difference in emphasis.
Apr 2013
9:09pm, 4 Apr 2013
1,779 posts
  •  
Wobbling
It can really depend on the club. I joined a local one, but left after two years, for a couple of reasons:
1. There was no encouragement to improve. There was a rather large chap at the club, always at the back of club runs, who favoured a 'run/walk' strategy. As a slower runner, back then, I often found myself running with the large chap. No one ever suggested to him he a) drop some weight or b) run a bit more, walk a bit less. It was, also, not unknown for the group to leave the large chap behind, particularly galling on trail runs, when I would feel responsible, and would have to hang back to ensure he didn't get lost.

2, and most importantly, coaching was either rubbish or non-existent. During a speed session, labelled 'marathon training' but consisting of short hill-reps, the coach told me all that stopped me getting fast was my breathing. Seriously, that was it.

In fairness, the club's strengths are social runs and beginner groups. If they stuck to this, they wouldn't disappoint, but they don't, and so end up failing as a running club.
Apr 2013
9:24pm, 28 Apr 2013
291 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
Just thought I would pop back and say I have today contacted a local run England group about there improvers sessions. Fingers crossed they get back to me, should help without having any of the big pressure of a full on running club.
Apr 2013
9:37pm, 28 Apr 2013
122 posts
  •  
Jo_London
Not so lazytoad - I hope you get a good reply back! Let us know how you get on.

I've also just contacted one of the big London running clubs to see if I can attend a trial training session before signing up.
Apr 2013
9:56pm, 28 Apr 2013
3,694 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I like running clubs so much I'm in two - first and second claim. ;-) They are very different - one of the things that I like about running /athletics clubs is that each one seems to have its own distinct personality.

Most worth their salt will certainly let you have a try out before signing on the dotted.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nutso Lazytoad!
Hi All

I have been running for the last 18 months or so, regular at parkrun which I love. I seem ...