Where should we stay in the Lake District?

3 watchers
Aug 2016
3:47pm, 18 Aug 2016
9,590 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Hoping to visit the Lakes in September. Staying with friends in Kirkby Stephen for 2 nights, but then want to move on somewhere else.

Last year we stayed just outside Bowness in a very fancy hotel, that unfortunately we no longer have staff discount on so can't afford it this year. We did go into Bowness for a meal, and it seemed a nice little town, so maybe somewhere fairly central there.

Other musings include Ambleside (just because I've heard ultra friends mention it), Keswick (we usually visit, but wondering if it's a bit expensive to stay) or somewhere around Ullswater (although it may not be towny enough for us!)

We would like to be somewhere with a couple of decent pubs/restaurants with walking distance. I had thought about maybe doing some hiking out from Patterdale or running round Ullswater nothing set in stone though.

One more thing, we would prefer to be in the south part, just to make it easier to get home.

Any suggestions?
Aug 2016
3:50pm, 18 Aug 2016
5,787 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
We've always loved staying in Ambleside. Lots of nice pubs/places to eat there. We've always had self catering accommodation though - I suspect hotels in Ambleside probably have quite a mark up... but there always seem to be lots of B&Bs there.
Aug 2016
4:06pm, 18 Aug 2016
9,591 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks BBL - self catering would be nice, but we only need 2 nights. Will take a closer look.
Aug 2016
4:27pm, 18 Aug 2016
9,110 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Highfield Hotel in Keswick is lovely - fantastic food!! We've usually managed to get a good deal via booking.com highfieldkeswick.co.uk - we've stayed there when walking and running in the area, really recommend it.
Aug 2016
4:32pm, 18 Aug 2016
9,596 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Oooo.....looks lovely, thanks AL
Aug 2016
4:50pm, 18 Aug 2016
4,569 posts
  •  
Winded
Pubs with rooms in Coniston can be quite cheap and one has its own brewery - though as I remember the rooms there were not amazing - but who goes to the Lakes for a nice carpet?
Aug 2016
4:52pm, 18 Aug 2016
9,599 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Ooo....brewery? OH would love that!
Aug 2016
4:59pm, 18 Aug 2016
4,571 posts
  •  
Winded
It's the Black Bull (Coniston Brewery) - I have not been for ages. We get up there so infrequently that we tend to push the boat out and stay at the Three Shires in Little Langdale - (very nice and good value but that's because it's nice not because it's cheap).
Aug 2016
7:38pm, 18 Aug 2016
2,087 posts
  •  
Lemon10
I can't be very objective having only stayed once, in Ambleside, but it was a brilliant base for a trip to the Lakes and we are going back next month. Last time we stayed at Wetherlam, an apartment near the park and close to the lake. It was a fab little bolt hole. Next month we are going to Grove Cottages up stock ghyll lane (not sure on that spelling). I can recommend a meal at the YHA riverside bar, fantastic food, gorgeous views over the lake, a great atmosphere and real value for money. Anyway, you'll have a fab time, can't wait to go back myself! Oh and Mr Lemon is obsessed with the apple pie cafe in town, the cakes and pies are very tasty!
Aug 2016
8:51pm, 18 Aug 2016
34,333 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's possible to get decent B&B accommodation in Keswick without paying a fortune. It was our go-to before we lived here.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
Hoping to visit the Lakes in September. Staying with friends in Kirkby Stephen for 2 nights, but the...