Best place to stay for London Marathon - near the start of the finish?

4 watchers
Aug 2021
11:40am, 16 Aug 2021
2,477 posts
  •  
Fitz
I vote for near the start - you can get up later, have a decent breakfast, use the loo and face less stress trying to get to the start. 30,000 people all heading for the same point on public transport on a Sunday morning is potentially fraught!

But at this stage your chances of anything decent and affordable near the start are probably quite remote.
Aug 2021
4:37pm, 16 Aug 2021
648 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Got an Airbnb 1.5 miles away from the start. Looks nice and not too pricey!
Aug 2021
8:21pm, 18 Aug 2021
116 posts
  •  
folkieboater
Remember that as long as you’re on the tube and tfl network you’ll get free travel on the day. On the West Ham/Barking/Upminster line you can use c2c as well so it’s quicker, change onto the DLR at Limehouse and you’re at the start. Or Stratford you can be straight on the DLR. I’m sure that’s possible from the other side of London, but I don’t know that area.
WA
Aug 2021
8:42pm, 18 Aug 2021
8,973 posts
  •  
WA
I'd say the finish so you can walk back rather than the faff of public transport. And there's a great buzz with all the runners on the trains in the morning on the way to the start.
Aug 2021
8:49pm, 18 Aug 2021
117 posts
  •  
folkieboater
WA I think the buzz spreads through the whole of the South East. I travelled from Essex, via Upminster c2c train and the atmosphere was there both ways…including in the micropub in Upminster where I grabbed a celebratory pint (or 2).

On the way in a guy was eating his toast, which we commented on the nice smell of. He offered me, and my non running OH, a slice. That’s not something you normally get in London.
Aug 2021
8:52pm, 18 Aug 2021
5,215 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I always stay near the start. It’s never occurred to me to stay close to the finish but perhaps that’s because I can simply amble to Waterloo and get the train home (via the boozer, of course).

Perhaps Waterloo is a good option for you? There may be hotels still available there, can’t imagine there’s anything in Greenwich left.

Take the train to Blackheath from Waterloo east in the morning, it’s only 15 mins or so. Don’t worry about what the final instructions say about which station to go to for which start. Just go to Blackheath and walk to whichever start you are on. Go to Greenwich and you have to walk up the hill!!
Aug 2021
6:32pm, 20 Aug 2021
649 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Aug 2021
7:05pm, 20 Aug 2021
650 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Aug 2021
1:12pm, 27 Aug 2021
5,222 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
for me everything has changed given the changes in set-up for the day, most notably the change in bag drop arrangements and so close to the finish line now seems a much better bet to me.

I just remembered that my finish line hotel booking was flexible and so I've cancelled it and booked in to a Premier Inn close to Waterloo where I can pick up my stuff on the way home. Easy train from Waterloo East to Blackheath on the morning.

Still plenty of availability at reasonable rates....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by tonyp2604
I am doing the London Marathon in October for the first (and probably last) time. I have contacted t...