Weird Sudden Onset Knee Stiffness

1 watcher
Mar 2016
3:31pm, 23 Mar 2016
2,310 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
My left knee feels fine, until I start my run, and then within the first few steps it feels very tight. If I stop and walk, the sensation goes away. I've seen several doctors and several physical therapists, but none have solved the problem. Have you experienced this, or heard a runner friend describe something like this? Additional info, I had a serious hamstring strain about 7 weeks ago, and have only started trying to run again in the last three weeks. I have a history of arthritis in that knee, but prior to the injury I never had an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Mar 2016
5:08pm, 23 Mar 2016
17,110 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
No idea here, sorry. *bump*
Mar 2016
5:26pm, 23 Mar 2016
2,311 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Thanks anyway. *bump right back at ya*
Mar 2016
5:46pm, 23 Mar 2016
17,111 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I think they should rename Weird Sudden Onset Knee Stiffness so that it has a better acronym. How about Weird Onset Nasty Knee Yelp, or WONKY. Better?

*bump*
Mar 2016
6:04pm, 23 Mar 2016
843 posts
  •  
Jubear
I like the WONKY. Anyway.

Anecdotal wossname only: my ITB issue started like that, just a tightening... And I also have oseto-arthritis in that knee following a tibial plateau fracture. However I'd have thought one of your therapists would have spotted by now if it was as simple as that
Mar 2016
8:49pm, 23 Mar 2016
18 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
That is how my ITB started, the pain was on the outside of my right knee, massive sudden tightening within half a mile of starting a run
Mar 2016
9:12pm, 23 Mar 2016
8,166 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
ITB often manifests itself with knee pain - try a foam roller (or rolling pin) over the ITB - if it's tight you will soon know because your eyes will water!! Foam roller and stretches can really help if that what it is.
Mar 2016
3:14pm, 24 Mar 2016
2,312 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Doesn't seem to involve the IT band at all, at least I am not experiencing stiffness or pain in that area. It at the back of the knee, and within the joint itself.
Mar 2016
3:14pm, 24 Mar 2016
2,313 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Doesn't seem to involve the IT band at all, at least I am not experiencing stiffness or pain in that area. It at the back of the knee, and within the joint itself.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
My left knee feels fine, until I start my run, and then within the first few steps it feels very tig...