Vomiting when running

3 watchers
Jan 2012
9:09am, 30 Jan 2012
9,835 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
so...I'm curious, did you manage to do a slow run warm-up? If so, what was the impact on your running?
Feb 2012
1:35pm, 1 Feb 2012
822 posts
  •  
Duchess
SODIron, I've always done a 5 minute walk before my runs, which I suspect is a result of being a graduate of C25k (and it also allows me to not start my run by going up a hill ;-) ) so I don't think there was much more I could do to create a slow warm-up.

However, having done my first "longer" run in two months on Sunday morning (just under an hour but the first time I've attempted that duration since late November), I found I didn't suffer anywhere near as badly which I suspect is down to the deliberate attempt to run at a slower pace to allow me to maintain the duration. There were a few stomach retches but quite mild and they did come after a sustained effort involving a hill.

What I've also realised is that I still have some cold symptoms after having flu in early January - again very mild but a slightly bunged up nose and getting a little out of breath during more normal activities such as walking to work, all at a level that I wouldn't really notice normally but is presumably impacting my breathing capabilities. So I'm now reasonably sure that it's connected to being unable to take in enough oxygen to support the aerobic demands of running at an effort level which is currently exacerbated by the cold symptoms. I don't think I can do much more until the cold finally clears up and I'm "normal" again then I can judge how common this is really going to be and if it's going to affect my ability to progress, in which case a trip to the GPs may be in order. Prior to this thread I wouldn't have made any possible connection between oxygen intake and vomiting...

I'm not getting any of the asthma indicators you mentioned on the previous page, which is also reasuring!
Feb 2012
2:01pm, 1 Feb 2012
17,139 posts
  •  
RooA
I would definitely get checked out for asthma. I think this is the reason I throw up/make mental noises when putting in a bit of an effort. The throwing up seems to happen along with a tightness in my lungs. It's started to happen to me on just normal runs now and I keep meaning to go and checked out. I was given an inhaler recently for a cough that just wasn;t going and it seemed to help with the running/throwing up feeling as well.
Feb 2012
2:08pm, 1 Feb 2012
6,030 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
there used to be several good pictures of Roo vomiting while running but they seem to have gone from her gallery :(
Feb 2012
2:15pm, 1 Feb 2012
17,141 posts
  •  
RooA
Hang on SOAPY. Now I no longer teach and don't have to worry about my internet anonimity quite so much (as if I ever really did :-/) I can reinstate some of them...
Feb 2012
2:20pm, 1 Feb 2012
6,031 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Oh yes, that's how to vomit and run . Multitasking
Feb 2012
2:30pm, 1 Feb 2012
823 posts
  •  
Duchess
I *really really really* don't want to look at these photos ... but Bluebeard's cave and all that....!
Feb 2012
3:28pm, 1 Feb 2012
446 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
The couple of times I've done pre work runs, I've dry retched most of the way around and had my stomach in agony. I put it down to a still largely asleep and cold body, with no fuel in it having to work hard and cope with cold air.

I found things were vastly improved by making sure something a little stodgey and fatty was in my stomach, and I'd had time to warm up (in my case several hours from waking up). Of course if you're committed to morning running, neither of these things will help.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
This used to be a very occasional thing, but now it seems to happen on almost every run at about 20-...