Tour of Tameside

3 watchers
Mar 2015
6:57pm, 16 Mar 2015
260 posts
  •  
Slow Farah.
Does anyone remember the Tour of Tameside? I did this race many years ago and got some great memories it was a fantastic event organised by the great Ron Hill. I believe it's back for 2015!!!! I'd love to give it a go the head is up for it, shame the legs aren't.
R4R
Mar 2015
8:10pm, 16 Mar 2015
2,531 posts
  •  
R4R
I did it several times - every year from 1994 until the last 'proper' one in 2000. I seem to remember a temporary revival, but over different routes, and I think it was not a great success, so only happened once.

I'd heard it's back on again, but someone told me it's a shortened version - a single marathon over 3 or 4 days, instead of the original

There is another alternative - the Tour of Merseyside: btrliverpool.com - a double marathon over 6 races in a week. It sold out within a couple of weeks, so get training for 2016 ;-)
Mar 2015
8:24pm, 16 Mar 2015
11,061 posts
  •  
HowFar?
I did a few of them - a couple of old ones and the revived one. I had a huge blister on the bottom of one foot one year. I remember lying on my back in Stalybridge after the hill race while St. John's Ambulance people tried to treat it. I saw them every night for the rest of the week to get it redressed.

My other main memory is of doing the canal race in blisteringly hot weather. The heat seemed to be reflected off the brick walls at the side of the canal as well as off the water. At the end of a long week of racing, it was not what I needed. I recall seeing the 7 mile marker and being completely unable to work out how many miles were left to run (it was a 9 mile race). Then I saw another mile marker and was delighted. It just didn't seem to be getting any closer, no matter how hard I ran. It took me several minutes before I realised that it was another runner in a bright yellow vest.

Brilliant event.
Mar 2015
8:42pm, 16 Mar 2015
232 posts
  •  
davelord
2 hour 1983 tour program www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJdMt6yQxX0 on youtube and lots more clips if you google it, great to watch not sure i could get away wearing those shorts
Mar 2015
11:56pm, 16 Mar 2015
2,201 posts
  •  
Old Man
I ran it for 5 continuous years, 1989-1993, when I worked for Thomas Cook, we were the event sponsors

Ron Hill ran with me on the half marathon in Ashton in I think 1990 and paced me to what has remained my life time best. It was the Thursday run after a rest day on Wednesday. I still have all the result booklets we were given each evening for the previous day's race, the medals, vests and certificates. Along with my marathons, those five weeks are top of my athletic achievements!!

The Tour of Tameside - the toughest challenge in British Athletics, was its tag line, happy days!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Does anyone remember the Tour of Tameside? I did this race many years ago and got some great memorie...