To Pause or Not?

5 watchers
J2R
Jun 2015
12:32pm, 25 Jun 2015
95 posts
  •  
J2R
I always pause. Yes, it's only training, but it's not about breaking records, it's about accurate recording, as far as I'm concerned. By pausing the watch while waiting to cross the road, for example, you're eliminating those variables which are nothing to do with your training. You can get a better sense of progress or otherwise. It is, of course, a faff, though, and inevitably, once in a while I'll pause and forget to resume, which is a pain.
Jun 2015
8:59pm, 25 Jun 2015
8,994 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I pause for traffic etc when training mostly because I run the same the same route and am trying to improve my times, but the traffic flow is not always the same.

I did have my garmin on auto pause but forgot to take it off when I was in a race and so my first half marathon time was all over the place compared to my chip time so now never use it and it also made me quickly do another half to see what my time couod be ;-)
SPR
Jun 2015
9:16pm, 25 Jun 2015
20,333 posts
  •  
SPR
Basically what Gobi said
Jun 2015
9:17pm, 25 Jun 2015
16,435 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I almost never pause because I only remember to restart about half the time. I don't trust auto-pause.
Jun 2015
9:24pm, 25 Jun 2015
442 posts
  •  
Kim3007
I pause on training runs for traffic lights etc. Just bought a garmin. One of the reasons was would forget to restart it or accidentally end run so auto pause good for me.
Jun 2015
11:26pm, 25 Jun 2015
1,115 posts
  •  
Wooters
I used to pause all the time but now I can't be bothered because, as said before, it's only a training run. I run home from work every night and regularly have to stop once, twice or thrice for traffic lights, and it's only three miles door to door so doesn't seem worth it really. Even on long runs if I have to stop for a 'comfort break' I'll keep the watch ticking.
Jul 2017
12:19pm, 9 Jul 2017
13,848 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I don't have auto-pause so I tend to pause it for a long or deliberate stop and not for a short stop. My thinking is "could I make the time up?" So if I have to wait a few seconds at a road, or for someone to catch up, I wont pause it. I can pick up the pace a little after a short breather. If I stop to take in the views, or are stuck at the start of a lights sequence, I'll pause the watch.

On a run, I'll usually remember to restart. On the bike, where stops are typically longer, I'll frequently annoy myself by forgetting to restart for a couple of miles. (I'll also for long rides put the total trip time in the notes.)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
When you are out running in town, you come across certain obstacles that do not appear in your racin...