The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

1 lurker | 312 watchers
17 Aug
11:47am, 17 Aug 2022
18705 posts
  •  
larkim
allmatthew I think in the setup for the datafield you put the distance in metres of the race too. I even added a bit of caution to that too, so I think I used 42,250 as the overall race distance so even at the finish line you can surprise yourself with 10-15s of bonus if it goes well. It really does work brilliantly to help keep yourself on pace and as a bonus gives you a bit of distraction every 7 minutes or so to keep your brain alive.

Worth also having a look at the Pace Pro features in Garmin Connect (and maybe on your watch too). Upload a copy of the Chester route into Pace Pro and with a bit of fine tuning you can get a sense of acceptable levels of slowing / speeding up due to elevation changes. I'm all for overkill when it comes to this sort of stuff, so maybe that sort of thing appeals only to nerds like me though...
17 Aug
11:51am, 17 Aug 2022
1541 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Cheers allmatthew I will watch with interest.
17 Aug
11:58am, 17 Aug 2022
43335 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sounds like a great plan from club coach - lots of MP in your longer runs is hard but will stand you in good stead.

I felt I needed to build up lots of endurance over several cycles of marathon training, but you're younger than I was and starting from a position of greater ability. I'm sure you'll do great. Best of luck. :-) G
17 Aug
12:37pm, 17 Aug 2022
3154 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Looks like you and your coach have it well covered allmatthew and are well set up to achieve your target. I was always an older plodder like HappyG, so knocked out 7 or 8, 22 to 23 milers in a campaign. I wasn't aware of the new Garmin feature - this puts our old manual lapping (PtB) setup out of business. Like Daz I will watch with interest. Good luck.
18 Aug
3:17pm, 18 Aug 2022
7412 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Proud to be a dinosaur. Wonder when the royalties cheque from Garmin will arrive? :-)
18 Aug
3:30pm, 18 Aug 2022
18718 posts
  •  
larkim
It's not even Garmin that have latched onto it, its a 3rd party one man band developer! So don't expect Coutts calling any time soon wondering how you'd like to invest the profits!
18 Aug
3:46pm, 18 Aug 2022
7413 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ah, so some ordinary Joe like me, just with more motivation?

(I'll probably find it written somewhere on a 10-year-old to-do list somewhere at home)
18 Aug
3:58pm, 18 Aug 2022
18719 posts
  •  
larkim
Seems to be the only app this developer has produced - apps.garmin.com

DC Rainmaker reviewed it when it came out in 2016 - dcrainmaker.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rog T
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey (or help someone else's!) here.

2022 Sub 3:15'ers
njosmith 3:11:50 (Sunshine Coast
larkim - 3:08:34 (Manchester)
Mr. Grumpy - 3:14:32 (Manchester)
Forrest Jooligan - 3:14:43 (Manchester)
MAG - 3:04:44 (Manchester)
Rog T - 3:11:01 (Manchester)
Big_G - 3:06:14 (Seville)

Upcoming:

These are marathon plans for racing, or participating for fun/training purposes(*):
---------------------------------
2 Oct - Chester - allmatthew 3:02:xx
9 Oct - Chicago - Rog T 3:09:xx
16 Oct - Yorkshire Marathon - FergusG
23 Oct - Newport Marathon - Forrest Jooligan
19&20 Nov - Maravan Marathons*, Cleethorpes - riggys99

---------------------------------

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

UTMOST

Beat your league rivals to gain weekly promotion. Compete at every distance from a mile to a marathon.

Marathon Prediction

We delve deeper to give you greater insights when working out your goal marathon time.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 108,914 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here