•  
LindsD
*puts fingers in ears*
7 Mar
4:52pm, 7 Mar 2024
39,785 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Diogenes that's precisely my problem with that novel. My sister passed it on to me saying how much she loved it. It made me feel queasy and I didn't finish it.
7 Mar
4:57pm, 7 Mar 2024
23,511 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I’m reading Bonjour Blanc (a journey through Haiti) at the moment; by Ian Thomson. I’ve already read his Dead Yard book about Jamaica. The author has a knack of finding unusual local characters and unexpected expats. He’s an honest and engaging writer and brings home how hard and heartbreaking it’s been for Haitians and their country - being ransacked constantly by foreigners and their own people from times of slavery to modern day. He pulls no punches in describing past (and sometimes current) horrors but also finds beauty and kinship in day-to-day interactions.
15 Mar
7:21am, 15 Mar 2024
85,054 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I finished The Time Traveller’s Wife yesterday. I don’t Linds would want to hear my review so all I will say is that I was very glad to get to the end.

That was on Audible. My current paperback is Fake News, by Otto English, as recommended and forwarded to me by McG (thank you). When I added it on Goodreads I was surprised by how many one-star reviews it had. On inspection, these were mostly from gammons who accused English of being ‘woke’, presumably because of his dissection of Churchill and British legends such as Dunkirk. However, some of the other criticisms are more valid. There are lots of facts and not much argument or nuance. The author is given to sweeping statements that don’t all bear examination. Still, it’s an entertaining and informative work, I’m only sorry I won’t remember more than a 10th of what I read.
15 Mar
7:26am, 15 Mar 2024
67,167 posts
  •  
LindsD
It's ok. I'm sorry. I think I will stop recommending books to you :)
15 Mar
7:26am, 15 Mar 2024
67,168 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm really struggling with An Instance of the Fingerpost.
15 Mar
7:47am, 15 Mar 2024
53,856 posts
  •  
McGoohan
That's on our shelves somewhere. I think Liebling gave up on that half-way through
15 Mar
7:55am, 15 Mar 2024
29,457 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I loved that at the time. I was quite a big Iain Pears fan
15 Mar
8:04am, 15 Mar 2024
53,857 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Probably fair critique Dio - I think Otto English's writing style matches his Tweets (where he used to post all this stuff)
15 Mar
8:35am, 15 Mar 2024
67,172 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was seduced by 99p Kindle even though I@m pretty sure I have the physical book on the shelf here. Idiot.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Unofficial books, underground discussion, MASSIVE SPOILERS.

Some of the most discussed books include:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
(mind-bending mystery with halls and statues)
hive.co.uk

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (geriatric murder mystery from Britain's tallest comedic brainbox)
hive.co.uk

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
(Memoir of a homeless couple walking the SWCP)
hive.co.uk

Milkman by Anna Burns
(Superlative prize-winning fiction)
Hive link: hive.co.uk

The Player Of Games by Iain M. Banks (Sci-Fi)

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley (weird steampunk)