Stress fractures

0 watcher
Jun 2011
10:10pm, 11 Jun 2011
64 posts
  •  
katief89
basically, I have pain on impact in my right quad, almost middley-inner is how I'd describe it. After an intensive googling session I convinced myself I've got a stress fracture (talk about pessimistic!) It's been there for about 2/3 weeks now, can hurt for the first mile or so of a run and then dull down a bit, but can still run on it (currently thinking if I was a stress fracture maybe I wouldn't be able to keep running?) or it can just hurt the entire time! Took a couple of days off, seemed to get better, then once I started running again it's getting worse. It also worse if I stop to cross roads etc and then start running again (imagine a limping runner that looks silly - that's me for 100m or so!). Don't think it's muscular as stretching doesn't seem to relieve the pain whatsoever, also can't really stand one-legged on that leg..

Lots of ice and ibuprofen, however have a few options - do I a) go to the walk in centre on monday when they are open for xrays and see if they'll take a look, b) speak to the doctor about it on thursday when I've got an appointment about something else anyway or c) take loads more time off, see if there is any cross training that isn't painful and then maybe go to the physio when I come home from uni (earliest for that would be 21st June). And after todays run I am defo NOT running on it anymore - I'm a bad one for running through pain but I'm now hobbling walking so not risking it!
Any experience with stress fractures? Advice as to which course of action (and yes I know people cannot diagnose things through forums but that is not what I'm asking for really!) Well done if you made it this far through my ramble!
Jun 2011
6:09pm, 12 Jun 2011
1,451 posts
  •  
clairevmc
Hi katie,

Sorry to hear that you're injured. I've had stress fractures on my feet and shin. Are you suspecting a stress fracture on your thigh bone? (don't know what that big bone is actually called but you know what I mean). Personally whenever I've had problems with the tops of my legs (i.e. above my knee) it's been a muscular thing which eases off over time but you've ruled that out.

Really just bouncing this to see if anyone else can help you. All the best.
Jun 2011
6:18pm, 12 Jun 2011
9,025 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Stress fracture of the femur would be rare, I think.

A quick googling will show sites where they describe the 'hang test'. Might help diagnose for you.
Jun 2011
6:26pm, 12 Jun 2011
5,502 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Didn't the Saintly Paula have a stress fracture of the Femur at some point in the past. From what they said to me when I got a stress facture in my foot, only an x-ray wll confirm it. and then you're looking at 6 weeks healing time.
Jun 2011
6:28pm, 12 Jun 2011
10,298 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
if it is a fracture it won't show on an X Ray. stress fractures are such fine lines they only really show once they start to heal in which case the bone repairing shows.
sorry but this means the walk in won't help
doc won't say much either other than well don't run if it hurts
I'd see the fizz as they will be in a better position to help.

Oh I had a stress fracture in my lower tibia and that hardly showed on an x-ray after about 4-5 wks but mr Bupa (through work!) said it was one from my symptoms.
Jun 2011
6:29pm, 12 Jun 2011
9,026 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
MRI or radio-isotope bone scan I am afraid.
Jun 2011
6:31pm, 12 Jun 2011
239 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Had one in my foot BUT like JohnnyO says I think they are pretty rare in the Femur, its a BIG bone, its common to get them in you feet as they are only tiny littly bones and take a lot of impact.

My best advice to you, if in any doubt, get it checked out.
Jun 2011
6:33pm, 12 Jun 2011
1,452 posts
  •  
clairevmc
When I had a stress fracture on my shin, I was referred by my GP for an MRI.

When I fractured my skulll it showed up on an x-ray but as EvilPixie says it was a month after the accident when I was x-rayed and it showed up as fractured in 2 places and healing up.
Jun 2011
6:37pm, 12 Jun 2011
5,503 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
can one of the medics on here say what, in todays cash stratpped NHS, are the chnaces of being referred for a MRI or a radio -thingy with a sports injury?
Jun 2011
6:41pm, 12 Jun 2011
1,453 posts
  •  
clairevmc
I actually ended up cancelling my MRI appt as by the time it came through, I wasn't having any more trouble from the injury. I was referred fine, even when I said it was from running (actually, I tripped over a kerb while running). I didn't bother about the fractures in either of my feet though as I could still walk ok with them, the shin one was especially bad but as I say, I ended up cancelling the appt.

About This Thread

Maintained by katief89
basically, I have pain on impact in my right quad, almost middley-inner is how I'd describe it. Aft...