Weekly mileage after 10 weeks off running due to injury

1 watcher
Jul 2016
7:30pm, 25 Jul 2016
334 posts
  •  
becky f
For the past 4 weeks I've been back to running after 10weeks off due to shin splints injury. I've increased my Sunday runs from 2 mile to 4,6 and this Sunday I'm doing an 8 but my question is on a Tuesday I'm only running 2 miles as this is the mileage I was doing just as a test run for my shin but before injury I was running around 4 miles on a Tuesday do I have to continue to just run 2 miles on a Tuesday or can I go back to what I was doing before as 2 miles seems pointless but I'm already increasing weekly milage by 2 miles per week. Do I have to use the 10% rule or can I go back mid week runs to where I was before?
Jul 2016
7:45pm, 25 Jul 2016
6,699 posts
  •  
lammo
I'd take it slow to be sure you're fully healed, better than a recurrence of the injury, no?

Do you have a race target currently?
Jul 2016
7:46pm, 25 Jul 2016
335 posts
  •  
becky f
Yes run 2x marathons in a day on the 29th October
Jul 2016
7:50pm, 25 Jul 2016
6,700 posts
  •  
lammo
I've just checked you out ;-) and you've loads more experience than me, but for an experienced runner you can probably increase more quickly, just be very aware I guess.

Did you see a physio? What was their guidance?
Jul 2016
7:54pm, 25 Jul 2016
336 posts
  •  
becky f
Yes had a gait analysis and I've just had custom orthotics to wear in my shoes and was told I'm hyper flexible which can be the cause of my running injuries

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
For the past 4 weeks I've been back to running after 10weeks off due to shin splints injury. I've ...