Shoes that perform well in mud...

2 watchers
Nov 2014
2:20pm, 11 Nov 2014
122 posts
  •  
Arjin
I’ve had a pair of Inov8 rocklite 295’s for a few years and they’re finally falling to bits so will need replacing soon. Especially as I’ve now entered the Dark Star Marathon – 28.2 miles predominantly along a towpath, in January.

I’m interested in what people would say is the best show to run in. This year the race was a wash out and without the right shoes, in similar conditions I might as well wear skates!

Thanks all 
Nov 2014
3:28pm, 11 Nov 2014
1,098 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Generally ( but not always ), it's a compromise between grip and cushioning, ie the really grippy shoes ( ie fell shoes ) have less cushioning as they are designed for soft muddy conditions.

How have you found the Roclites ? Are you looking for more grip than them ? If so, then Mudclaws or X-Talons would be the obvious choice, but not sure I'd fancy doing 30 miles on a towpath in them, depends what your feet are used to.

One quite similar to the Roclite is the Salomon Fellraiser - nice grippy sole and still reasonable cushioning. The Salomon Speedcross3 is even more cushioned ( but a bit heavier ) but still as grippy.

Lots of other choices from Adidas, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, etc, etc.

Try and find a running shop with a good choice of trail shoes and try them to see what feels right
Nov 2014
3:47pm, 11 Nov 2014
13,492 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Mudclaws are the best for mud. Adidas Kandida a good comfortable / cheaper option but grip compromised
Nov 2014
4:09pm, 11 Nov 2014
1,143 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I haven't actually tried them, but if your budget is large, the Salomon S-lab Sense 3 ultra SG ("soft ground") might be worth a look.
Nov 2014
4:12pm, 11 Nov 2014
6,490 posts
  •  
GordonG
as DT says, Kanadia's are good though their sizes do not match other shoes. Go for at least 1.5 sizes higher than normal.
Nov 2014
4:22pm, 11 Nov 2014
13,493 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I cannot get my (average width, but high arch) feet in Kandidas
Nov 2014
4:26pm, 11 Nov 2014
17,376 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I loved the old X-Talons but they appear to have changed them and I don't like my new ones so much. However, I'm now being told that the 'precision' fit is the one to go for if you have narrow feet like me.
Nov 2014
8:41am, 12 Nov 2014
123 posts
  •  
Arjin
Gus, I've got on really well with the roclites and have run around 20 miles in them a few times and have found the grip to be great in all but the worst conditions. I'm expecting the worst conditions in January! I generally run in a low differential shoe and like the feel of inov8's.

I was looking at the mudclaws and fellraisers initially but wanted to see what others suggested without putting my own preferenses in.

Really appreciate the feedback and will have a nose at the kandidas before anything else I think as if they are good then I can afford 2 pairs!!! Can't believe I paid £45 for my inov8 roclites in the running shop in Guildford around 5 years ago, and now they're charging £80+ a little above inflation I think!
Nov 2014
5:21pm, 12 Nov 2014
1,104 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
If you like a bargain, and happy to shop on-line, then I got a Runners World 15% off discount code for trail shoes at ratrace.com emailed to me today : RW15XMAS

There's already big savings on some of the shoes ( depending on your size ) even before the 15% extra

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Arjin
I’ve had a pair of Inov8 rocklite 295’s for a few years and they’re finally falling to bits so...