Shoes made from beans on subscription

2 watchers
um
Jan 2021
1:43pm, 5 Jan 2021
3,995 posts
  •  
um
In today's Times ... has anyone heard/tried these?
Will shoes by subscription become a thing? Although £25 seems a bit OTT at the moment?

Subscription running shoes
In 2012 researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology showed that one running shoe can include 65 individual parts, all of which normally end up in landfill. Since then, many fully recyclable and plant-based shoes have been launched, but in 2021 expect more subscription shoe services in which your tatty trainers are returned to manufacturers to be recycled while you are issued with a new pair for a monthly fee.

The Swiss company On Running is the first to offer such a service for its fully recyclable, zero-waste shoe, the Cyclon, which is made primarily from castor beans and a single cut of yarn with no dyes (it only comes in white).

For £25 a month you receive a replacement pair when the shoes wear out. Sign up at on-running.com.
Jan 2021
8:27pm, 6 Jan 2021
21,702 posts
  •  
Dvorak
The website is so annoying that even if I were interested in buying, I wouldn't be now. I'm also wondering who they think would be buying them? Aimed at a very narrow performance sector and wearing out, it's implied, very quickly. But unless they have come up with something extraordinary shoewise, it seems like something which may equate to the shoes of 5-10 years ago (Nike Mayfly?) but not on the same platform (literally) to the current generation of Nikes and other carbon plate/ PEBAX foam shoes. Not that they seem to even exist as anything which any subscriber can actually wear.
Jan 2021
11:57pm, 6 Jan 2021
352 posts
  •  
SteveC NordRunner
Haven't read the website but the only way I could begin to make this pay would be to do a lot of distance in just one shoe-type to cover speed, marathons, ice, snow, trails, mountains, roads and track. It wouldn't work for me.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by um
In today's Times ... has anyone heard/tried these?
Will shoes by subscription become a thing?...