Running with a backpack - where did you get yours?

4 watchers
Jan 2012
8:45pm, 17 Jan 2012
5,644 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Doing a lot more trail running these days and when the days get a bit longer and warmer, I'd like to go further afield. This means taking some form of backpack to hold the usual keys, phone etc and maps. Plenty of maps. I'm not that bothered about having a massive hydration bag, but I'd like a bag that I can shove some gloves in etc would be good.

I've had a look in various shops and they seem to come in several types:
1) Waistbelt/bumbag - I hate running with one of these - they never feel secure, make your shirt ride up, or just plain hurt
2) Camelbak type things - seem to be aimed mainly at cyclists but get used by runners as a sort of next best thing
3) A cut down rucksack - they bounce all over the shop when you run.

So what do you folks do? And where's you buy it/them? It's not something I feel I can buy over t'Web - it's one of those things you need to try out a bit first I reckon.

Thanking you please.
Jan 2012
8:52pm, 17 Jan 2012
11,139 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Raidlight 10l for me. It has a bladder, it holds as much shit as I need and it doesn't bounce, which most others I tried seemed to do.

Got mine on the web, didn't try it. I had heard bad things about lots of others, but never about these.
Jan 2012
8:53pm, 17 Jan 2012
17,845 posts
  •  
ogee
Hmm, no idea where you can go & try this out but you won't go wrong with this one.

likeys.com
Jan 2012
8:54pm, 17 Jan 2012
17,846 posts
  •  
ogee
Great minds there Johnny :)
Jan 2012
8:55pm, 17 Jan 2012
17,845 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I use the missus' old nike backpack, it makes the tee ride up a bit, but it's been problem free for ferrying the laptop and change of clothes to work for 18 months
Jan 2012
8:56pm, 17 Jan 2012
11,141 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Thats the one, never heard a bad word about it. :)
Nx
Jan 2012
8:57pm, 17 Jan 2012
4,169 posts
  •  
Nx
Raid 10cause I'm in the cause I'm in the scooby gang ;-)

........but finding good running packs in the high street stores is tricky.....so unless you can locate them in some of the outdoor stores, you might find you have to order a couple and then ensure that they take returns....likeys is great and if you give them a call they will talk you through options....as they have a huge amount of experience :-)
Jan 2012
8:57pm, 17 Jan 2012
8,684 posts
  •  
paul a
Raidlight 10l recommendation from me too. Avoid Likeys though would be my advice, v poor customer service IMHO.
Jan 2012
8:59pm, 17 Jan 2012
5,645 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Great xposting from Johnny and ogee there.

I've got a Karrimor pack like that Mac but I am getting quite fed up with the riding up t-shirt effect. I look like I'm wearing a man-bra sometimes it rides up so much.
Ted
Jan 2012
9:06pm, 17 Jan 2012
10,607 posts
  •  
Ted
i concur with Johnny, ogee and the bird. Raidlight 10 from Likeys

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Doing a lot more trail running these days and when the days get a bit longer and warmer, I'd like t...