Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Pi Club

32 watchers
6 Sep
9:50pm, 6 Sep 2020
275 posts
ZenTaoPlurp
All real programmers look away now: Run The Sum worker-outer.

# RunTheSum.py
# Purpose: Days of the month summation in kms for Fetch game

MonthDays=32
milesConv=.62137
cumulativeKm=0
cumulativeMiles=0

for days in range(1,MonthDays):

units=days % 10

tens=int(days/10)

km=units+tens

miles=km*milesConv

cumulativeKm=cumulativeKm+km

cumulativeMiles=cumulativeKm*milesConv

print ("day "+str(days)+": "+str(km)+" km, "+str(round(miles,2))+" miles"+". Cumulative "+str(cumulativeKm)+"km, "+str(round(cumulativeMiles,2))+" miles")
6 Sep
9:50pm, 6 Sep 2020
276 posts
ZenTaoPlurp
And all of the indentation disappeared on submitting. Darn.
6 Sep
10:13pm, 6 Sep 2020
277 posts
ZenTaoPlurp
I find 'Barrier' really useful for running a Pi on its own screen alongside a desktop or laptop and using the keyboard and mouse of the desktop without additional keyboards cluttering the desk (and typing on one keyboard when I meant to type on another, etc.) I prefer it to VNC or SSHing-in for some projects; particularly for onboard graphic use. It also allows cut and pasting from PC/Mac to Pi and vice-versa.

raspberrypi.org
7 Sep
10:55pm, 7 Sep 2020
3901 posts
FergusG
I received a 433MHz RF receiver module in the post today, and connected it to a ludicrously cheap Wemos Mini D1 microcontroller. The Wemos runs Tasmota and is configured to publish an MQTT message whenever it detects a particular RF signal. The MQTT message (handled by the open source mosquito MQTT broker running on a Pi Zero) is caught by a bash script running on the same Pi Zero.

I already use Kodi (OSMC on Raspberry Pi) in the kitchen, livingroom and backroom to access Live TV, Recorded TV, Radio, YouTube and my Music/Video library).

End Result - When my cheap RF wireless doorbell is pressed:

- The doorbell base unit chimes, just as it always did (but I rarely hear it, unless I’m in the same room and not playing anything loud).

- I now also get a ‘Telegram’ alert that causes my iPhone, iPad and Garmin watch to alert me that the doorbell rang.

- If Kodi is active in any room, it’ll pause playback and display a notification on the screen.

Only cost a few quid, a few hours of screen time!

RF Module: amazon.co.uk

Wemos: uk.banggood.com
8 Sep
9:45am, 8 Sep 2020
13178 posts
Cerrertonia
Nice work.

I wasn't familiar with the Wemos Mini D1 device. It has a pretty powerful Tensilica CPU, which has shipped in quantities of billions (certainly more than Intel or AMD x86 devices) and yet is almost unheard of. I spent my working career as a chip designer and sometimes it still shocks me how much processing power you can have for pennies these days. I'm reminded of Marvin the paranoid android - that thing could be beating you at Chess, running a flight simulator and hosting a web server and still be listening out for an occasional RF signal.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I thought I'd start a thread for Raspberry Pi fans. This is it :-)