Pi Club

39 watchers
Jan 2021
11:49am, 26 Jan 2021
4,216 posts
  •  
FergusG
I don’t think you’ll be able to use cron, as you’ll be running your own code directly on the device (rather than running it within a somewhat richer Operating System). Most of the Arduino examples are basically infinite loops with some sort of yield/sleep/wait logic.
Jan 2021
12:27pm, 26 Jan 2021
365 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
If I had one, I'd be able to tell you...

I haven't dived in yet, but the specs mention a clock on the RP2040. If it's continually powered then as long as you know when it was first powered then bingo. At a basic level it runs the main.py code but it is a twin core chip and much more seems possible, but may need some lower level coding to achieve a Cron-like run environment.

With a single main.py block, those numerous input pins could be used to configure or trigger different parts of code within one main.py. Or, you could use a Pi...
Feb 2021
11:14pm, 13 Feb 2021
25,646 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
We transferred Lance to his Pico life support. I just used sleep(60*60*24) within a continuous loop to give him his daily drink. Now my Pi is free again for a new project.
Feb 2021
12:56am, 14 Feb 2021
19,673 posts
  •  
flanker
Has anyone set up a pi with a motion sensing camera? Or maybe more likely, with a camera backed by motion-sensing software?
rhb
Feb 2021
10:57am, 14 Feb 2021
1,623 posts
  •  
rhb
Flanker yes, motioneyeOS is very simple to setup and use.
Feb 2021
2:54pm, 14 Feb 2021
19,674 posts
  •  
flanker
Ta :)
May 2021
3:02pm, 24 May 2021
74,024 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hello :)

Fetch's podt about automatically watering Lance has made me think that it is feasible to set up something to water the tomatoes in the greenhouse once a day?

I am totally new to this Pi business...
May 2021
3:41pm, 24 May 2021
26,091 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It definitely is, Hann.

The Pi has a set of pins on it that you can use to send signals to other electronic components. In my case, the Pico is running the following code, over and over again:

Turn relay on
Wait 1 second
Turn relay off
Wait 24*60*60 seconds

Here's a Pico:

amzn.to

(but cheaper here):

thepihut.com

Here's the relay I use:

amzn.to

Here's the pump:

amzn.to

Mine is for an indoor plant (so less thought gone into weatherproofing etc) - and there are a million ways you can scale up that design.
May 2021
4:02pm, 24 May 2021
4,404 posts
  •  
FergusG
I'd suggest starting simple, and then building things up if/when you get hooked by the whole automation thing. You could upgrade from a simple timer rule to using readings from soil moisture sensors if you want to get fancy. You could also go nuts and have the windows open/close based on readings from a humidity and temperature sensor!

N.B. As an indoor system, Fetch will also have found it easier to get power to his device.
May 2021
4:59pm, 24 May 2021
74,028 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I should have said: it is for my greenhouse! A real tie in summer as it needs watering, on hot days twice a day!
I have power to it by means of an outdoor cable reel and ducting through the foundations. Apart from greenhouse type humidity, I think it will be ok.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I thought I'd start a thread for Raspberry Pi fans. This is it :-)