New York Marathon

22 watchers
May 2007
1:18pm, 18 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
jolguk
I've been happy with 2:09, but as I've said, if you're taking a non-runner, don't book for them through 2:09 as it's a rip-off.

More annoyingly, the results of the international ballot are in, and neither my husband or any of the 6 other friends who applied have got in. Boo hiss. Just as well I've paid my way in.
May 2007
1:39pm, 18 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
B.B.
2.09 did my trip when i ran for charity in 2005. It was fine
May 2007
1:43pm, 18 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Girlie
I'm booked with Sports Tours, who seem fine so far, but as it's my first time can't compare the 2.
May 2007
2:56pm, 18 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
I'm doing it this year. It'll be my first marathon & I've heard nowt but good stuff about it. I too have booked through STI. Was told best way to get an entry place was to go through tour company. STI appeared to do the better deal & we're more flexible re flight times etc. I'm running in aid of The Evelina Childrens hospital. www.justgiving.com/jasoncross .
May 2007
7:16pm, 27 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
GAZGIB
Some advice for NYM 1st timers this year, take plenty of throw away clothing to the race. Last year they closed the Verrazano narrows bridge at about 6:30. So all the coaches had to be over it and on to Staten Island at about 6. Then apart from a couple of tents, that filled up very quickly, there was no shelter from the weather and NY in November can be pretty cold, especially if you are sitting around waiting for 4 hours before the start at 10:30. The Staten island ferries run a bit later I think. This was my only complaint about the NYM, everything else about it is awesome. Don't worry about the undulation near central park the crowds are at ther best by that point and you don't think about it. BTW 'Rumours' Irish bar on 8th and 52nd (i think) is a great place to chill out.
May 2007
7:24pm, 27 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Girlie
Jims Dad- Where are you staying?- We have booked the Belvedere and fly out on 1 Nov.

Gaz- I had heard about that and thought thats going to be more of a killer than the race, having to get up at 4-5 am! I hear the noise as you enter Manhatten from another bridge is deafening?
May 2007
7:30pm, 27 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Tri Mikey
I did the New York with Sports Tours some yrs agao ( in fact I was on Pan -AM 103 about 3 weeks before it was blown up over Lockerbie)
I found the course mentally tough, with lon straight roads ahead and very few people ( I finished 69th in 2 hours 30 or 31 can't remember)
I enjoyed the few days we were there. Sport Tours conned us, we had a meal in the Waldorf Astoria as part of the package, but were in the dungeon of that hotel)
I am hoping to meet Mike Gratton of 209 to secure some places for New York and other international races. Would anybody be interested in running for Spinal Injuries Association.
May 2007
7:32pm, 27 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
controversial
Hey people I have finally booked my new york trip! i am going there on the 2nd and back the 5th (with 209 events)
May 2007
7:34pm, 27 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Tri Mikey
Well done controversial. How about raising funds for SIA, we will give you lots of support. In fact if we get enough runners I might even have to go over with the goodie bags
May 2007
11:10am, 28 May 2007
0 posts
  •  
Glugg
Girlie.
I stayed at the Belvedere last year and had a great time. Lovely hotel in a good location, handy for subway and nice to have your own little kitchen. Wish I was going this year.

About This Thread

Maintained by chocciemonster