New York marathon

3 watchers
Mar 2018
3:00pm, 17 Mar 2018
5,909 posts
  •  
superflyguy
Luckily I got drawn in the ballot for this years race and am looking for people's hints and tips or things to avoid that they've learnt through good or bad experiences . Thanks
Mar 2018
3:18pm, 17 Mar 2018
18,028 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Take lots of disposable clothes- the pre start phase is very long and very cold. They collect up all the clothes that are dumped at the start and give them to charity.
The staging area is mental and they give away hats and gloves and food.

Arrange somewhere to meet friends/family away from the finish- its all locked off and the walk out area is long. Don't try to meet at Columbus circle as it is absolutely heaving, but if you go inside the Time-Warner building it is OK.

Best viewing points for friends/family- get to Park ave and they can catch you going north and then walk back to 5th ave and catch you coming towards the finish. Crowds are about 10 deep all over Manhattan- but I still heard my wife and she got to the front on the last corner when people saw she was with a runner (and 8 months pregnant).

Try to not take a bag- the poncho they give the bagless runner is excellent and warm. The bag, if you take it, is tiny and you can only just get a thick coat in. Bag collection is a mile from the finish, ponchos are about 300metres and mean you get out much more quickly.

Every step you walk from the finish is a step you have to walk back if you are staying south of the park, which you probably will be.

Depends where you stay, but we were in midtown. Underground from Grand Central at 4am is a bit daunting- main doors to the station are shut and you have to go through some side door- but once you are inside there are other runners and its ok. Ferry to Staten Island is the best way to get to the start, very easy.

Take your own gels- they probably won't have ones you are used to.
Dont walk 16 miles sightseeing the day before (I was trying out the new garmin).

I have never done other big city marathons, but this is unlike anything I have ever done- the noise when you are running through the park is extraordinary- I felt quite claustrophobic. Then its strangely dead at the finish- all secure- though this was the year after Boston. Amazing run though, you'll love it.
Mar 2018
6:29pm, 23 Mar 2018
5,910 posts
  •  
superflyguy
Any more tips?
Mar 2018
7:29pm, 23 Mar 2018
2,344 posts
  •  
FergusG
Presumably you’ve booked your accommodation already SFG? The prices only seem to be going upwards! This’ll be my first NYC Marathon, so no personal insight to offer but there’s some good reading from Runar B. Gundersen (he’s run it 39 times) on his site: runarweb.com
Mar 2018
12:08pm, 24 Mar 2018
5,911 posts
  •  
superflyguy
Thanks that websites great

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by superflyguy
Luckily I got drawn in the ballot for this years race and am looking for people's hints and ti...