New blog entries page layout

7 watchers
Sep 2014
9:46am, 12 Sep 2014
30,814 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I don't like not being able to see the "threads you're watching" list from the blog front page :( Could we have that back please, Mr Fetch?
Sep 2014
9:53am, 12 Sep 2014
1,318 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
No sooner said! Excellent service :-)
Sep 2014
9:55am, 12 Sep 2014
1,319 posts
  •  
Alice the Camel
....and the "switch to school cloakroom style" made me laugh out loud :-)
Sep 2014
9:57am, 12 Sep 2014
30,817 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Me too :)
Sep 2014
10:01am, 12 Sep 2014
5,745 posts
  •  
Sharkie
My joke! :-) At least it proves Fetch read my comment!
Sep 2014
10:10am, 12 Sep 2014
10,319 posts
  •  
Girlie
Another vote to put the day order back please. Its less clear at the moment.
Sep 2014
10:45am, 12 Sep 2014
30,818 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Ooh, thanks! It's improving by the minute :)
Sep 2014
10:57am, 12 Sep 2014
17,107 posts
  •  
fleecilyFurman
Much better, thank you fetch! I was going to suggest a tick system as well...
Sep 2014
11:06am, 12 Sep 2014
14,910 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Right then.

The buddies / favourited blogs should now be highlighted again - that was just a CSS mishap that I didn't spot last night.

The option to switch between views has now been made a little bit clearer, by the addition of the little 'cog' symbol, and an update to the text ;-)

The list is split by days again.

The favourites list is also sorted by recency now, rather than user number.

I get the feeling that the biggest issue raised is just 'why?'.

The code that powers the site now spans ten years of fiddling. In that time, I've developed various ways of working - different ways of structuring my code; different systems for organising the layers of software. Some have worked wonderfully well, and others have proven to be a rats nest of a bad perm. And in that ten years, the expectations of internet users and the way we access information has also moved a massive step.

Occasionally this means that I have to make seemingly unnecessary ain't-broke-don't-fix-it changes. In this particular case, [developer talk alert] I'm working towards reducing the number of CSS styles used across the site, and reworking my pages into reusable units that I can have more control over (a perfect example of this was the "watched threads" box that I was able to add in for V'rap). The component-based approach is in itself a movement towards helping the site work better on a wider range of devices. For example, the site could recognise when you're viewing on a very small device, and serve a simpler set of components in a more linear layout.

Feedback *always* welcomed :-)
Sep 2014
11:10am, 12 Sep 2014
7,495 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Well done.

Good explanation.

I imagine you are a better coder than I am now, I haven't done that for more than 10 years.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
I'm usually neutral or pleased by site changes, but this is the first one I actively dislike.

I like to be able to click on my own blog without going to the 'your blog' tab, and now it's not highlighted (high lit?) in any way.