Mortons Neuroma

15 watchers
Jun 2012
2:57pm, 14 Jun 2012
7,775 posts
  •  
surreystriderâ„¢
What are the advantages of wearing those shoes, Ian? Not the running ones.
Jun 2012
3:02pm, 14 Jun 2012
13,224 posts
  •  
hellen
Thats what I 'd like to know, why are they better than normal shoes with bigger toe box? Happy to pay the extra if they are worth it, had a look at the merrel ones but didnt like them as much, they had some sandles which looked ok but I dont wear sandles cos of manky toes!
Jun 2012
6:04pm, 14 Jun 2012
786 posts
  •  
Ian M
As I have said, there are plenty of others on the market. It's just that the VVO ones I have seen thus far have a better shaped last in that they are foot shaped. Thus they are wide enough to let the foot spread out naturally as you move around. The foot spreads as it takes weight - this happens walking and running. It is how the foot works.

So, the benefits are that they allow your feet to work how they should. The soles are thin enough to allow you to feel the ground beneath your feet so you develop your sense of proprioception too.

All the info for VIVO is here on their website...

vivobarefoot.com

Have a look and decide for yourselves. I'm not here to sell VIVO shoes! :-) Just saying that from my experience of them they are very good indeed.

Hellen, your toes will stop looking manky when you stop bashing them to bits in shoes that don't fit :-)
Jun 2012
6:42pm, 14 Jun 2012
3,316 posts
  •  
icemaiden
What retailers with real shops have those shoes so I could try them on? I have like lots of people, feet of different sizes, with a high instep and that are broad enough to need Mizuno's - however, I'd never buy any shoes online.
Jun 2012
6:56pm, 14 Jun 2012
787 posts
  •  
Ian M
I posted a link to their site with all the info you need but here is a link to their shops

vivobarefoot.com
Jun 2012
6:57pm, 14 Jun 2012
13,225 posts
  •  
hellen
Thanks ian
I have found k Swiss fit better and havnt bashed my toes, the manky ones are from a few years back which have never normalised!
Jun 2012
6:58pm, 14 Jun 2012
13,226 posts
  •  
hellen
If you buy those shoes from the website it is 6.50 postage and 6.50 to return them but if you get them from amazon postage is free and so are returns. Also some of the shoes are cheaper. Think I'll get a pair of the shoes for work
Jun 2012
10:25pm, 15 Jun 2012
13,231 posts
  •  
hellen
Ordered the 6 and 7 from here loads cheaper than anywhere else, free delivery and free returns
javari.co.uk

If I were to get some to run in which should I go for? Not sure if I will go down that route but might be good to have some at least for the gym. Do all barefoot shoes have lots of toe room? I saw some nice pretty NB barefoot shoes, would they be like the vivo in that they have toe space?
Apr 2015
9:29pm, 2 Apr 2015
1,158 posts
  •  
Fitz
I have joined the Morton's Neuroma club.

Left foot feels like it's swelling inside my shoe after around 7 miles. Tingling / numbness in 2nd toe and ball of foot after around 10 miles. Proper agony from 16 miles+ !

Podiatrist has prescribed Yoga Sandals to relieve the pressure on nerves between the metatarsals and a bit of extra cushioning in my running insoles. If that doesn't fix it in three months, it will be time for a steroid injection.
Apr 2015
8:32pm, 3 Apr 2015
534 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Hi- I had a Morton's neuroma. It was confirmed with an ultrasound scan. The scan showed the neuroma to be 13mm by 5mm. I was told by an orthopaedic consultant surgeon that the best option for me was surgery to remove the neuroma. The pain I was getting was excruciating........like really sharp electric shocks. I had the surgery and was on crutches for 2 weeks. The result is BRILLIANT :-) No pain at all. Before the surgery I had tried cushioning in my running orthoses; but it didn't help much. I was told my neuroma was too large for a steroid injection to have a sustained benefit. The surgery removed the neuroma and also some of the actual nerve. The neuroma was between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. As a consequence of part of the nerve been removed surgically- I now have a persistently numb area between my toes. this I must admit concerned me initially. It feels like a crease is present in my sock. However- I hardly notice it now. I get NO PAIN whatsoever now.
From the shoe point of view.......I have recently started running in Hoka one one Cliftons . I loved them so much that I have also got for my birthday another model of Hoka. These shoes are extremely well cushioned- the best cushioning of any shoe I have tried.
Fitz- I hope the yoga sandals help. Please keep us informed how you are getting on. I certainly couldn't run with my neuroma.....it was bad enough walking. Take it easy if you are still able to run. I am guessing running 16m is just aggrevating the neuroma. GOOD LUCK.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
Just been to the Dr with my hurty foot. He thinks it is MR and is getting me a referral to a podiatr...