Menopause and running

144 watchers
22 Mar
12:51pm, 22 Mar 2024
3,650 posts
  •  
cackleberry
lol Sushi.

I was here a few months ago with lots of peri-menopausal symptoms - night sweats, anxiety, lethargy, brain fog etc etc. Honestly thought it's either the menopause or I am losing the plot! Your advice was of course to go see GP.

Now, I've tried to talk to the GP about this before and one of the things they have said is they can't do any tests or anything while I am on the Pill.

So I decided to come off the Pill before seeing the Doc. (Microgynon, combined pill. Been on either that or Ovranet for 20+ years.)

Now, 4 or 5 cycles later, no more night sweats, much reduced brain fog, anxiety and bloating. I am still generally tired, which is a shame. But my periods are (so far) normal and perfectly tolerable. I went on the Pill to reduce the symptoms of bad period pains and associated sickness etc.

My non-scientific conclusion following the study of one, is that probably my natural hormones are starting to shift but they are no competing with the artificial hormones from my Pill and causing the menopausal like effects.

Interestingly, maybe connected or not, I have noticed as increase in postural hypotension and Reynauds symptoms since stopping the Pill. Which would make sense actually as the Pill can raise your blood pressure.

I can hardly wait for the real thing to start...

Thank you all so much for your support and all the best for your own hormonal journeys.

I'll no doubt be back when it starts for real :)
22 Mar
12:57pm, 22 Mar 2024
14,504 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Sushi. Done :-)
22 Mar
1:02pm, 22 Mar 2024
17,539 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
Hi Cackleberry,
That is very interesting. I was on the mini-pill for a while to deal with terrible periods (and related migraines) but came off once a year to check the plumbing. The last time, over a year ago, I think, my period was not so bad so I stayed off. I've also been feeling kinda fine. I get the occasional night sweat but otherwise, I think the perimenopausal symptoms are at bay. I´m a little fat round the middle but mostly just trying to come to terms with the aging process.

[OH may have another opinion - but I feel great so it's not my problem ;) ]
31 Mar
9:26am, 31 Mar 2024
4,750 posts
  •  
phal
*de lurks*

I’ll be making an appointment for a blood test next week to ask for a general screen of stuff - the last one a year or so ago showed low folic acid which should have been sorted - to find out if the energy depletion has any other explanation - and if not starting to talk to the Docs about what to do. My period’s becoming much harder work and the other things around it and I’ve had enough now - too much impact on things.

I’m also quite anxious about it as I’ve felt a bit fobbed off in the past when I’ve been in to chat about hormonal things…. There’s a bit of ‘baggage’ around it all. I’ll just have to put my big girl pants on 💪
31 Mar
9:57am, 31 Mar 2024
67,402 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good luck
31 Mar
11:07pm, 31 Mar 2024
245 posts
  •  
DrMags
Yes, good luck, phal, hoik them big pants right up :-) Will you, or have you had, thyroid checked as well?
8 Apr
2:00pm, 8 Apr 2024
12,476 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
Menopause brain…?

This lunchtime I drove to our local shop to pick up a few things. As I paid for them I inwardly cursed myself for not bringing a bag to carry them home, put things in my coat pockets, and then started walking home…

Luckily I hadn’t got too far when I realised the car was still in the shop car park… 🙈
9 Apr
1:54am, 9 Apr 2024
67,477 posts
  •  
LindsD
:)
9 Apr
3:53pm, 9 Apr 2024
250 posts
  •  
DrMags
🙃

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Last July a blood test indicated that I was going through the menopause (GP did it as due to using D...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.