Line of Duty

70 watchers
Apr 2017
8:53pm, 15 Apr 2017
8,292 posts
  •  
Badger
Spoilers ahead if you're not up to date. But not till the next post, as I'm nice that way.
For someone with over 8,000 posts, I haven't started a lot of threads. And we don't have a thread for this excellent show, even though I can see plenty of people are watching it from comments in other chat threads. So...
Apr 2017
8:57pm, 15 Apr 2017
8,293 posts
  •  
Badger
Steve Arnott: dead or not?

Case for: that's an awful lot of blood, and they did make it very clear he was thrown off the 5th floor landing.

Case against: if they'd wanted to be completely clear about him being killed, they'd have shot it somewhere where the stairwell was wide enough for him to fall the whole way, instead of only falling one flight, two at most. Series one had a not-so-good-guy jump out of a window a few floors up, aiming for a canal, miss, but survive and be in shape for questioning shortly afterwards.

I'm going with too injured to take much part in the rest of this series, coming back for 5, but having Kate promoted over his head in the meantime to replace Dot as DI.
Apr 2017
9:20pm, 15 Apr 2017
22,924 posts
  •  
halfpint
I thought the same re: pool of blood. I hope he survives.

I didn't see that coming at all. I usually work things out but even after the call re: licence plates being husbands I assumed it was a red herring. That's 2 big cliff hangers in 3 episodes.

I am confused by the wife's fiddling with evidence and gunning for the kidnap victim. Is that just fear because she was there just before he died. Surely he wasn't still alive when she left. Not given what went on. Confused!
Apr 2017
9:22pm, 15 Apr 2017
22,925 posts
  •  
halfpint
Was it the husband who attacked Arnott? Or is that just what we are supposed to think?
Apr 2017
9:29pm, 15 Apr 2017
35,512 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
This is the first season of this that I have watched and it does seem to be one for throwing curve balls at you constantly.

It twists and turns like a twisty turny thing!
Apr 2017
9:43pm, 15 Apr 2017
8,294 posts
  •  
Badger
One of the things I like about it is that most of the characters are quite mixed in terms of motivation and actions. I can't expand on that without spoiling earlier seasons for you, Bint, so I won't.

The pizza message implies that Roz's husband wasn't home either. I think Roz is covering up something her husband is doing, or something she thinks he's doing. Might be the killings, or might be something else. Or even might just be that it was actually him who killed Tim, and she's trying to cover that up. That bit is puzzling; if she killed him in self-defense, why keep it secret? All she did was go round to give him a hard time about going behind her back. One thing that is clear is that he wasn't an innocent.
Apr 2017
9:47pm, 15 Apr 2017
35,513 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Thanks, Badger
I do plan to watch the previous seasons as soon as this one is over.
Apr 2017
10:25pm, 15 Apr 2017
8,296 posts
  •  
Badger
The first series is a good example - I don't think Arnott and Fleming are as rounded out as they are by now, but Lennie James as their target gives a very sympathetic presentation of a complex character.
Apr 2017
12:59am, 16 Apr 2017
6,046 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Two of the actors popped up in BBC1s Decline and Fall last night as well.
Apr 2017
10:23pm, 16 Apr 2017
7,461 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Don't read on until you seen the 4th episode.

I absolutely love those interviews and a good twist to have the tables turned on Ted!

Maneet :-( Very disappointed that she's a mole. On the other hand very glad that Steve survived, his angry badger face lives on if slightly battered :-)

No idea who has done what but I'm happy to go along with it and trust it will all be resolved at the end.

About This Thread

Maintained by Badger
Spoilers ahead if you're not up to date. But not till the second post, as I'm nice that way.

BBC have commissioned series 6 to follow the upcoming series 5.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.