Late starter

2 watchers
Aug 2012
7:53pm, 6 Aug 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
Troll runner
Hi Fetchies.

I am rapidly approaching the big 50, and for some reason I have the urge to start running. I'm 5'11" weighing in at 14st 12lb. (so a little over in the tum area). Health wise very good, blood pressure, heart and related areas all good. Can some one give me a rough idea as to how many yards..... I mean miles I should be looking at per week. (please bare in mind I got cramp watching the mens 400m relay). Any help or comments how ever bizzar will be welcome. Many thanks The Troll
Aug 2012
7:57pm, 6 Aug 2012
2,960 posts
  •  
fleecy
Hello and welcome :)

Start with a couch to 5k programme, there are lots of them. I'm sure someone will come along with more specific advice.
And enjoy!
Aug 2012
8:05pm, 6 Aug 2012
2,058 posts
  •  
Robbo62
Plenty of walk / run programs to get you going. Get a decent pair of trainers, take it slow and easy if it hurts stop. Welcome to Fetch :)
Aug 2012
8:07pm, 6 Aug 2012
2,133 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
My advice is don't get too hung up on mileage and times. Go out, find somewhere nice and then run (and walk when you need to). You'll soon improve and the first 10 to 15lbs will drop off :-)
Aug 2012
8:12pm, 6 Aug 2012
1,631 posts
  •  
That man from March
Hi. Welcome to Fetchland. When I passed 50, a little over 6 years ago, I had the urge to start running again after 15 or so years off. I started with run walk outings in a local nature reserve but soon joined a local running club and have not looked back. So my advice would be to have a look at what local clubs you have and go and have a look at them. Hope you get on well.
Aug 2012
8:28pm, 6 Aug 2012
3 posts
  •  
Troll runner
Thanks all for the welcome and advice, I picked up a new pair of trainers today and plan to go out tomorrow as I am on day off. I'll keep you up dated on how it goes. Lucky for me I live in a village and so have lovely lanes to run in.
Aug 2012
8:35pm, 6 Aug 2012
1,965 posts
  •  
Garfield
Good luck and have fun!:) Welcome to Fetch as well.
Aug 2012
12:39pm, 8 Aug 2012
17 posts
  •  
MillieB
I'd go with a couch to 5k programme, particularly if you've never run before/want help with pacing yourself.

Another piece of advice I'd give is to run at a pace you could maintain a conversation but above all, enjoy it :)
Aug 2012
8:22pm, 8 Aug 2012
63 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Hi there! What they said, plus don't put too much pressure on yourself to progress too quickly - have fun :-)
Aug 2012
9:38pm, 8 Aug 2012
202 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I started very slowly running between two lampposts and then walking, very gradually adding an extra lamppost to the run distance. Took me ages to feel like I was getting anywhere but it did get easier in the end! Like the others have said, enjoy it! Good luck.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi Fetchies.

I am rapidly approaching the big 50, and for some reason I have the urge to start ru...