•  
Hendo
Also, there is no god.
Oct 2014
12:04pm, 3 Oct 2014
1,727 posts
  •  
Molesy
What I brought was a link to a systematic review of multiple scientific studies. But hey, if some bloke you met in the pub said his mate had tried it and he said it had cured his piles then let's just throw away all the evidence based science.
Oct 2014
12:09pm, 3 Oct 2014
1,357 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I wore it once to keep my physio happy as other stuff he was doing was helping my shin splints. I felt no difference whatsoever with it on, but I did not expect to either.

I stopped spending money with him the day he recommended acupuncture though.
Oct 2014
12:13pm, 3 Oct 2014
665 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Sorry I'd have thought beats headphones sold well because of the Dr Dre connection, but I could be wrong.
Do you really think they *only* use it cause it's free? Pig shit is free, why aren't they smeared in that?
Why aren't they making comedy beards out of it, instead of say, I don't know, putting it on injury sites and stuff like that.... They are so gullible :)
Oct 2014
12:14pm, 3 Oct 2014
4,823 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Perhaps, like a lot of things, it depends on the injury. I can see that for something like my colleague, strapping up to encourage the 'right' positioning of a joint could make sense.
Oct 2014
12:17pm, 3 Oct 2014
17,795 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Its not free, its probably paid for, like Mo Farah saying he likes Quorn and Nike.

These things work as much as you believe in them, the placebo effect is real. If applying KT tape coincides with the natural recovery that your body is designed to do then the effect is reinforced and its the first thing you reach for next time you tweak something.
Oct 2014
12:44pm, 3 Oct 2014
854 posts
  •  
Spleen
mbln: The reason athletes don't smear themselves in pig shit is because it smells bad. KT tape doesn't smell and there's no reason not to wear it if you've been given it for free. Athletes get it for free in their goody bag when they turn up to the Olympic village or wherever. Some ignore it, some think "well, my leg hurts a bit, it's worth a go", and out they trot in front of the cameras with the blue tape on them.

A lot of athletes pray to help them recover from injury and win races, does the fact that lots of elite athletes pray prove there is a God?
Oct 2014
12:52pm, 3 Oct 2014
666 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Sorry, but you don't think the team physio has any say in whether they wear it or not?

I know there's no science to support it, as previously stated, but as far as i can tell I'm one of the few on the thread who has tried it and found it to aid recovery. Whether that is placebo or not, doesn't change my experience with it.

There is no proof for god, or lack of. The important thing for that person is the belief - placebo effect init ;)
Oct 2014
1:10pm, 3 Oct 2014
17,796 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Athlete: Hey physio, could I try this? They want to give £50 for putting it on my leg.

Physio: Why not, it can't do any harm... Plus, they gave me £50 as well.
Oct 2014
7:54am, 4 Oct 2014
9 posts
  •  
little girl lost
Thanks everyone. Enlightening to say the least

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by little girl lost
I have just come back to running and am desperate to get back to some sort of fitness. My shins are ...