KT tape anyone?

7 watchers
Oct 2014
8:26pm, 2 Oct 2014
1,724 posts
  •  
Molesy
From the above link - "Overall, Kinesio Taping was no better than sham taping/placebo and active comparison groups."
Oct 2014
9:02pm, 2 Oct 2014
663 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
But have you ever tried it Molesy? I know theres no evidence, but its scarily good....
Oct 2014
9:09am, 3 Oct 2014
851 posts
  •  
Spleen
http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.13862633.4912/fc,220x200,natural.u1.jpg
Oct 2014
10:25am, 3 Oct 2014
1,726 posts
  •  
Molesy
Nope, in just the same way that I've never tried homeopathy, crystal healing or ear candling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U
Oct 2014
11:14am, 3 Oct 2014
664 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Cool. Glad you're bringing some sound experience to the thread then, instead of just being an armchair expert.... Did you ever wonder why you see elite athletes using it, or did you just think they must have got bored of ear candling?
Oct 2014
11:20am, 3 Oct 2014
4,821 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
At my last visit to the physio for a sports massage I had a slightly inflamed knee - she put some tape on, saying some of her patients found it gave some extra support and it would do no harm. I have no real idea whether it helped or not. I have a colleague who has a longstanding shoulder injury (linked to playing the mandolin) - her physio applies tape to help force her shoulder into a better position and she swears it is making a huge difference.
Oct 2014
11:39am, 3 Oct 2014
853 posts
  •  
Spleen
mblnFERCr: Elite athletes wear it for the same reason they wear those dreadful Beats headphones - because they get given it for free. Like homeopathy it doesn't do any harm (because like homeopathy it doesn't do anything), so some of them will inevitably put it on. Then mugs like us see it on TV and actually pay money for it.
Oct 2014
11:43am, 3 Oct 2014
4,447 posts
  •  
Badger
mblnFERCr, elite athletes sometimes have some odd superstitions telegraph.co.uk and you'll often see elite athletes wearing things like power bracelets bbc.co.uk . Honestly, seeing elites using it isn't evidence that KT is any more effective than taping a cricket bat to the ceiling before running a marathon would be.
Oct 2014
11:56am, 3 Oct 2014
2,052 posts
  •  
Grid
The only reason people aren't taping a cricket bat to the ceiling before running is that (a) people are given the cricket bat or tape for free and (b) it isn't visible to others. Spleen has it right: Beats headphones are of very average quality at best (soundwise) but they cost an absolute fortune and sell well because they're given to all manner of sports people for nowt. KT is no different. No, I've not tried it, but then who would spend their money on something when all the science says they're of no benefit? There is more than enough unnecessary puff when it comes to running accessories as it is....
Oct 2014
11:56am, 3 Oct 2014
2,053 posts
  •  
Grid
are=aren't*

About This Thread

Maintained by little girl lost
I have just come back to running and am desperate to get back to some sort of fitness. My shins are ...