•  
McGoohan
(I actually thought the same as ITG)
Feb 2016
10:52pm, 28 Feb 2016
26,754 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
Kinesiology is just a general adjective which is US for bollocks. Though confusingly it actually means something sensible when not being highjacked by quacks.
Feb 2016
10:56pm, 28 Feb 2016
26,755 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
I don't know what the evidence or otherwise is for that tape, btw. I suspect it's bollocks just on the basis of the pretty colours and high visibility of it. Placebos tend to work better when they're large and visible. Like big pink pills with a brand name on them work better than little white generic pills :)
But I could be wrong, I haven't looked at the evidence.
Feb 2016
4:44am, 29 Feb 2016
2 posts
  •  
RunningNerd
I just searched for "kinesiology tape evidence" and got an NHS page that linked to this systematic review: sciencedirect.com . A title of "Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review" possibly tells you all you need to know, but the full review text is available.

My own experience was that I had an allergic reaction, which took more than a week to subside after being on for less than 24 hours, despite taking antihistamines and using hydrocortisone cream. In my case, the tape was boring surgical beige, so no useful placebo effects here ;)
Feb 2016
7:57am, 29 Feb 2016
11,384 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Darting reluctant to make any comment due to the very negative comments made. I would say if it helps your OH and does no harm then it can only be good.

when the medical profession tells you to just get on and learn to live with symptoms then trying something else was my option, so I could get on and live life to the full. I did try kinesiology, was very wary but it did help me at the time.
Feb 2016
9:29am, 29 Feb 2016
26,758 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
I actually agree with you, Ultracat. But Darting was asking if there was any evidence of efficacy. There isn't. But that's not to say that a placebo effect can't do some good if you don't mind spending money on something with no scientific backing. If it helps, fantastic.
Feb 2016
11:25am, 29 Feb 2016
1,348 posts
  •  
Spleen
"A chap I used to work with spent money on this bollocks and we were all incredulous because he was a scientist." Nothing unusual about that. Some priests are immoral, some financial advisers screw up their finances, some doctors are alcoholics. In the same way, some scientists leave their ability to reason and weigh evidence behind when they leave the office. They view the scientific method as an obligation of their job, and something they don't have to bother with in their free time, like the uniform.

These guys aren't very good scientists. If you don't understand *why* the scientific method is important, if you're just doing it "because it's your job", then tomorrow you might decide that the scientific method is not your job, your job is to keep the grant money flowing or to convince the public of the dangers of global warming. For a much more indepth analysis of this phenomenon, see http://lesswrong.com/lw/gv/outside_the_laboratory/. (It focuses on religion but applies equally to alternative medicine which is just another form of spiritualism.)

"In modern society there is a prevalent notion that spiritual matters can't be settled by logic or observation, and therefore you can have whatever religious beliefs you like. If a scientist falls for this, and decides to live their extralaboratorial life accordingly, then this, to me, says that they only understand the experimental principle as a social convention. They know when they are expected to do experiments and test the results for statistical significance. But put them in a context where it is socially conventional to make up wacky beliefs without looking, and they just as happily do that instead."
Feb 2016
12:40pm, 29 Feb 2016
33,509 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
In another place, I've come upon someone who believed that the case for an alternative health industry product in the same league of woo-woo as kinesiology was strengthened because, far from being scientifically uneducated, she was an actual scientist and knew, on an intellectual level that she should know that the "treatment" was implausible in the context of both human physiology and basic physics, and yet It Worked For Her. This, apparently, carried more weight than if it had "worked" for a person she considered her academic inferior :-O

(Don't be misled by the fluffy advertising. These folks are out-and-out fraudsters.)
Feb 2016
1:02pm, 29 Feb 2016
13,797 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
Ok, so this had me confused until I read this link:

en.wikipedia.org

As someone with a sport science degree from a reputable establishment I had understood Kinesiology to be the study of human movement. And indeed there are entirely correct books on this subject available from good authors and publishers and is something that I studied in Biomechanics.

What people seem to be describing here is 'Applied Kinesiology' - the correct term for the woo b0llocks pseudo-science guff that is practiced by shysters trying to fleece the gullible out of their hard-earned wonga.

What we need is a protected term a la dietician vs nutritionist.
Feb 2016
1:48pm, 29 Feb 2016
68,761 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Tea, you beat me to it!

When I had difficulties, health wise, for about 1.5 years and a diagnosis proved illusive, a friend suggested kinesiology. I was confused, because I thought it was about movement. I was told a kinesiologist uses 'muscle testing' to diagnose and find appropriate treatment. It sounded like a load of b@ll@cks to me, but contacted the suggested kinesiologist as I had become unable to walk and work etc so was desperate. She quoted an exorbitant sum for which I could have employed a whole team of Harley Street doctors so I suppressed laughter and anger and hung up.

It still pisses me off how people like that exploit those desperate enough to seek their advice.

In the end, I got a clinical diagnosis of Lyme disease from my GP and an infectious disease consultant. I used plant based antibiotics to get better, my choice, but herbal medicine practised properly isn't quackery and the fee structures are transparent and reasonable on the whole and... I did get better without the ill effects of long term pharmaceutical antibiotics.

About This Thread

Maintained by
The wife went and had a kinesiology session for food intolerances has anyone else tried this? It see...