Pre-race diets

1 lurker | 2 watchers
Sep 2015
7:53pm, 25 Sep 2015
32,837 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'll usually avoid any food that's likely to give me the squits (most plants, artificial sweeteners) for a day or two before a significant race, and although my alcohol consumption is normally negligible I like to have a non-intoxicating dose of pint along with plenty of dinner the night before a race.

I've tried tweaking my diet in various ways to try to improve my performance or tame my irritable bowel, and seem to do best on the opposite of a "healthy" diet - lots of foods of animal origin, sugar, and refined starch, and very few green leaves and wholegrains.
Sep 2015
10:27pm, 25 Sep 2015
716 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
1/ No - but night before a race (any distance down to 1500m) tries to be low in fat. No scientific basis for this, I just prefer it.
2/ Day before.
3/ I give up un-Catholic acts for three days prior to a race.
4/ I learned to avoid muesli on race day in 2013 because of the post-race digestive issues (inc blood 2 days later). Other than that, no.
5/ It's basically normal because I try to not eat/drink shit at the best of times.

The best advice is don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
Sep 2015
10:27pm, 25 Sep 2015
717 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
1/ No - but night before a race (any distance down to 1500m) tries to be low in fat. No scientific basis for this, I just prefer it.
2/ Day before.
3/ I give up un-Catholic acts for three days prior to a race.
4/ I learned to avoid muesli on race day in 2013 because of the post-race digestive issues (inc blood 2 days later). Other than that, no.
5/ It's basically normal because I try to not eat/drink shit at the best of times.

The best advice is don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
Sep 2015
10:28pm, 25 Sep 2015
718 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
Double post because I am doubly uncool.
Sep 2015
8:40am, 26 Sep 2015
1,567 posts
  •  
Mark J
Great feedback, thanks all.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

So I know there's a plethora of standard advice out there for pre-race diet rituals and best practi...