Job Hunters Thread

46 watchers
Mar 2016
10:16pm, 2 Mar 2016
9,560 posts
  •  
Star
Hiya, looking for a bit of career advice. I've been in the shipping industry since I left school, the last 20 years of which have been in my ex-partners company. Better the devil you know, and all that. However, he will be looking at retirement in the next 5 years or so, and I want to get something else in place for whatever happens.

I want to look into possibly teaching food and nutrition, but don't know where to start. Totally bamboozled when trying to Google. Oh, and I'm qualified for nothing.

I'm only 43, am I too late!
Mar 2016
10:39pm, 2 Mar 2016
1,650 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Never too late! Where are you thinking of teaching? School? College? Evening classes? Maybe start by deciding that, then approach a school or whatever for advice on what qualifications you would need.
Mar 2016
10:49pm, 2 Mar 2016
9,562 posts
  •  
Star
I had just thought high school, but college sounds good as well. Thanks
Mar 2016
12:23pm, 18 Mar 2016
5,647 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Check out the courses on offer at your nearest College and uni's - even if you aren't qualified just now, it's not so hard to do entrance courses and most colleges offer them part time so you can work around it. Also bear in mind many higher/further education places now do online distance courses, again full and part time, so have a look at those too.

Good luck 😄👍
Mar 2016
12:26pm, 18 Mar 2016
5,648 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Can I ask some advice? I have found a job that I'd like to apply for, I meet all the qualification requirements and the essential skills they ask for but I'm worried because a lot of the tasks I would do in the job I have a little or no experience of (for example managing a budget) do you think it's worth applying if I'm not sure I can actually do all the work?
Mar 2016
1:01am, 19 Mar 2016
2,436 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
You manage a budget pretty well already I am guessing jambomo. Your own finances.

Go for it I say.
Mar 2016
2:05pm, 28 Mar 2016
1,510 posts
  •  
mole_thing
Managing a budget is just adding & subtracting. Slightly more complicated if you have to ensure others follow the rules, but still not rocket science. Go for it.
May 2016
9:14am, 25 May 2016
19,172 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've been encouraged to apply for a job where I'm temping and it's due to be advertised soon. A condition of the role is that I would need to travel to where the rest of the dept is located once a week. This would consist of an approx 2-hour journey each way on several different modes of transport. Is it reasonable to ask if I would be given travel expenses or not?
May 2016
9:24am, 25 May 2016
14,486 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes RS, definitely.

My job hunting has slowed right down. When you are first back on the market you get bombarded with calls, but after a while they slow down and all the jobs advertised are old, there are obviously fewer new ones coming up on a day by day basis. I'm getting a bit worried now, as is Mrs D which is really affecting her mood.

I've would target those companies I really want to work for, as I've been advised, but there aren't any realistic targets
May 2016
11:02pm, 28 May 2016
5,761 posts
  •  
CStar
Agree with Diogenes RS. We have employees all across UK and anyone travelling to head office who is over 1 hour away and not in the office 4+ days per week can claim.e

Hang in there Dio. It will happen. Keep approaching and keeping watching the ads etc.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Seems barely a day goes by without one of the Fetchie community being made redundant or being put at...