Job Hunters Thread

46 watchers
Jul 2013
9:34am, 5 Jul 2013
2,240 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Seems barely a day goes by without one of the Fetchie community being made redundant or being put at risk of redundancy, so I thought I'd start a thread for job hunters. Feel free to join in if you have a job but are desperately trying to find a new one too.

I was made 'redundant' (aka 'sacked') in January and I'm now six months into my third period of unemployment since 2007. The job market for my industry, PR and communications, has dried up a bit lately, but I have been lucky enough to be short-listed for a maternity cover role. I have my final interview on 16 July.
Jul 2013
9:30pm, 5 Jul 2013
6,738 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Good luck Wobbling.
I have a load of friends who have been made redundant and are struggling to find something. I guess it's difficult to decide whether to just take anything or hold out for something good.
Jul 2013
9:59pm, 5 Jul 2013
2,250 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I went down the 'take anything' route last year and ending up deeply regretting it. But by then I had been unemployed for almost a year and things were getting a bit tight. Hope your friends find something suitable soon.
Jul 2013
10:03pm, 5 Jul 2013
3,585 posts
  •  
Kimbles
OH has just taken redundancy from his job and is now on a major job hunt :-(

Good luck Wobbling
Jul 2013
10:07pm, 5 Jul 2013
12,844 posts
  •  
Discovery Dave
Whereabouts are you, Wobbling? And what bits of PR / Comms are you good at?
Jul 2013
10:27pm, 5 Jul 2013
2,251 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I'm in Bedfordshire DD and I'm a corporate, consumer, change, CSR PR / media relations person.

Good luck to your OH Kimbles.
Jul 2013
10:32pm, 5 Jul 2013
7,205 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I've been recruiting several new members of staff to my team recently and one thing that has shocked me is how poor some people are at presenting themselves at interview. People who, on paper, look like excellent candidates give shocking interviews and rule themselves out. Now I'm not saying anyone on this thread is like that but if I was job hunting I would get some feedback on my interview technique
Jul 2013
10:35pm, 5 Jul 2013
16,364 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
SoaPM, and vice versa. We have a rigid scoring system for application forms and I'm shocked at how many good people can't fill the form in to 'sell themselves'. Often you can tell from a person's previous history and general comments they would be suitable but they don't answer the clear points raised in the person specification.
Jul 2013
10:37pm, 5 Jul 2013
2,252 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I interviewed someone last year who told me the company she was interviewing with was 'immoral'. I was not impressed.

Getting interview feedback can be quite hard. I've had three interviews this year and only managed to get meaningful feedback from one, that was ok tho.
Jul 2013
10:38pm, 5 Jul 2013
26,037 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm about to embark on helping my son find his first job. He's 19 and just finished college, his qualifications don't reflect his intellectual ability, and he isn't particularly fussy about what he does so long as he can see the point of his job and gets paid for doing it. But he has autism and his communication skills difficulties are quite profound.

I think we may be about to climb aboard a steep learning curve.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Seems barely a day goes by without one of the Fetchie community being made redundant or being put at...