•  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Found it - here: dailymail.co.uk
Jun 2018
10:50am, 22 Jun 2018
228 posts
  •  
Raemond
If they didn't have enough evidence for a conviction the daily fascist shouldn't really be publishing it as fact.

But then the daily fascist shouldn't really be published at all imho.
Jun 2018
11:01am, 22 Jun 2018
38,466 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I suspect Weean may be right. At work, I come across a fair number of people who appear to prefer being in jail to being out in the community. Which is heartbreaking in itself, because I'm sure being in jail isn't the bed of roses that our right-wing papers claim it is.
Jun 2018
11:03am, 22 Jun 2018
5,096 posts
  •  
larkim
It does seem more than a little ludicrous as fraud is broadly obtaining property by deception. The property obtained of a t-shirt and a medal really have very little value, though I suppose if you shoplifted a t-shirt from a shop it's not entirely unreasonable for that to result in a custodial sentence (though unlikley).

More pertinently, what about Russian athletes who won the race fraudulently by using drugs. In terms of the values at stake, that really should warrant a custodial sentence!
Jun 2018
11:56am, 22 Jun 2018
1,157 posts
  •  
DrDan
How many fraudsters jumped the barriers at Tower Bridge and claimed a finisher's medal? Easily IDed via chip time records and photos.
Jun 2018
11:59am, 22 Jun 2018
42 posts
  •  
premierfella
The Heathrow Criminal Behaviour Order together with everything else surely suggests (pure speculation of course) that the judge may have taken into account previous convictions and the failure of other resolution measures in the past when deciding on applying a custodial sentence (otherwise the sentence makes no sense).

I'm interested in the discrepancy between the DM and Guardian stories - in the space of a little over a month the detail has gone from the guilty party running 14 miles of the course and "...seen swigging champagne, beer and wine from the crowd while running" to the number being dropped short of the finishing line when the runner was taking off their shirt. Relevant as the former would mean the guilty party having (according to the DM) four hours to reconsider what they were doing, compared to an impulse move when seeing the number of the ground with the finishing line not far off (albeit still dishonest).
Jun 2018
12:09pm, 22 Jun 2018
5,100 posts
  •  
larkim
I think the DM (yuck, I feel dirty having read it) are suggesting he ran most of the course, but only found the bib number entitling him to a medal at the end. So presumably he bandited the rest of the way and just "lucked into" a medal. Not so lucky now, unfortunately. It really doesn't seem like the sort of thing we should be shelling out taxes on, but more than that I hope he gets his life back on track after this.
Jun 2018
12:23pm, 22 Jun 2018
43 posts
  •  
premierfella
Thanks larkim - it had puzzled me when I read the Guardian story yesterday but that explanation makes perfect sense.

I guess the police were looking a gift horse in the mouth here as it was a cast iron case and (it would appear from the Heathrow actions) he was firmly on their radar for other actions that were less clear cut.

Ditto on this person getting their life back on track.
Jun 2018
12:57pm, 22 Jun 2018
5,728 posts
  •  
Iron Thigh Girl
Disgraceful. If they couldn't pin other offences on him, the judge should not have taken them into account. Poor man. I hope the media attention means that he gets the support he needs to get back on his feet.
Jun 2018
1:07pm, 22 Jun 2018
5,102 posts
  •  
larkim
The phrase "taking other offences into account" usually means that the defendant has agreed that these other offences were down to him and they actually get some leniency for having got crimes off the police's books and resolved. I spent a good long while around the courts many years ago and that was one of the peculiar things that needed explaining to me at the time, as it seemed to me back the that if you admitted other crimes your punishment should go up!

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Didn't see this mentioned already - though surely I can't be the first?

https://www.the...