Jailed for using a dropped number...

1 lurker | 8 watchers
Jun 2018
9:52am, 23 Jun 2018
8,478 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
i'm shocked to read that running under someone else's number - that perennial headache of race organizers - is potentially subject of a 10 year sentence :-O
Jun 2018
11:06am, 23 Jun 2018
5,107 posts
  •  
larkim
That secret barrister link is excellent, thanks for posting.

Reluctant as I am to disparage an upstanding member of the community that the magistrate must be, I would respectfully submit that she or he have lost the plot on this one. Probably from reading the mail or the express too much!!
Jun 2018
12:00pm, 23 Jun 2018
1,953 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
It just illustrates just how childish and spiteful this country had become.

Yes I'm sympathetic to the guy who lost out. However he lost his number and the rules are clear. He would have been DQd no matter who had picked it up or what they'd done with it.

Yes the homeless guy was stupid to do what he did but prison? Oh please....
Jun 2018
12:28pm, 25 Jun 2018
45 posts
  •  
premierfella
Really interesting reading that secret barrister link. Key for me was previous convictions (as without the detail that's what I thought the custodial sentence was ultimately pinned on)

Seeing that the only previous conviction that affected the sentencing was an attempted theft, that places me firmly in the "harsh sentence" camp as well.
Jun 2018
1:22pm, 25 Jun 2018
5,118 posts
  •  
larkim
Another article bemoaning the approach.

theguardian.com
Jun 2018
9:06pm, 25 Jun 2018
6,504 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I’d be concerned if he had an airside ID pass, as I believe is the case
Jun 2018
7:26am, 27 Jun 2018
22,019 posts
  •  
Dave A
The sentence was more than likely reasonable and proportionate. To get a custodial requires a really serious offence or at least 3 minor ones, this being minor. Aside from the other thefts, there must be a bit of previous on his record that would suggest custodial was the best option. The fact he’s got a Crimibal Behaviour Order (ASBO in the past) suggests, good mental health or not, that the fella might have a criminal past.
Jun 2018
8:15am, 27 Jun 2018
2,929 posts
  •  
jdarun
I don't care if he's Pol Pot he only picked up a dropped number and jogged over the finish line. 13 weeks!
Jun 2018
12:05pm, 27 Jun 2018
1,954 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
There's quite a few people who I'd be concerned about being airside at Heathrow. Most of them are in Russia at the moment.

It's actually in my manifesto. Anyone boarding an outward flight wearing an England shirt, shouting "Ere we go" or "Engerland" would automatically be denied re entry to the country and have their Sky subscription cancelled.

That should sort out quite a bit of low level anti social behaviour.

To be fair chummy had it coming. Foreign, unemployed, homeless. He only needed to be Muslim to have a full house. Plus of course the added bonus of Tommy Robinson and his mates screaming "Rapist" as he was led away.

Makes me proud to be British.
Jun 2018
11:36am, 28 Jun 2018
6,266 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Completely baffling, although if he had been wearing headphones I would have said throw the book at him

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Didn't see this mentioned already - though surely I can't be the first?

https://www.the...