Accused of cheating on Strava

14 watchers
Jun 2017
2:43pm, 26 Jun 2017
2,272 posts
  •  
larkim
I am quite surprised they've not just created additional activity types for eBikes and tandems by now, as well as Zwift etc - it would seem fairly straightforward to implement you'd have thought and the argument for keeping the segments "clean" seems sensible enough.
Jun 2017
3:19pm, 26 Jun 2017
18,166 posts
  •  
Meglet
Exactly. I want all of my mileage in the same place, I wouldn't want a separate tandem or ebike account, not would I want to mark a ride as a workout as it wouldn't count for mileage.

Either people are free to use it how they wish, or they allow these options.
Jun 2017
3:38pm, 26 Jun 2017
1,955 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
It's really a problem of Strava's own making. If they implement a system where people can upload their activities automatically, they have to assume that a lot of people are going to do this and not go onto the site/app afterwards to make sure the data is correct.

Maybe if the league tables are that important, they should make it so that people have to opt in to be included so that the passive users of the site don't mess things up.
Jul 2017
9:31am, 2 Jul 2017
1,660 posts
  •  
jdarun
Well we've (meaning my female stoker) just grabbed some impressive QOMs on a tandem ride. We don't feel too guilty, the second place female also seems to have been a tandem rider and it's a route that is (I guess) only raced by tandems anyway.
Jul 2017
11:13am, 2 Jul 2017
36,410 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I believe there is a separate category on strava for e-bike rides, but I can understand why people would choose not to use it and just log all their rides as rides. It's not as if an e-bike is in any way comparable to hammering the segment on a motorbike. And all the pros have little motors in their frames nowadays, don't they? ;)

It IS possible to opt to exclude individual rides from the segment leaderboards at the point of saving them. This is where I realise that I'm not a nice person and there's a bit of me takes active pleasure in raising my middle finger at the strava Nazis from the back seat of a tandem, for I look at the opt-out button and go, "Nah."

And another bit of me thinks, "Being able to handle going downhill at 55mph on the back of a tandem is a skill in itself," and, "I'm a good descender and I owned a load of those descents already on my single bike, so I'm mostly just cheating myself."

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by magnumpti
Have any of you been accused of cheating by Strava?

I received an email from them last night say...