•  
Elsie Too
Oh - good thinking AL, I like that point
Oct 2015
12:45pm, 6 Oct 2015
18,771 posts
  •  
sheri3004
My interview for current post was a competency-based interview. This seems to be a thing now. Basically you need loads of examples to prove you can do all the things in the job description.

I think it is a helpful model even for interviews which are not specifically of this type. Have lots of specific examples of past achievements to show how great you would be.
Oct 2015
12:45pm, 6 Oct 2015
1,199 posts
  •  
Spleen
I wish interviewers would stop with the stupid "weaknesses" question. Everyone now knows it's coming and everyone thinks of a "weakness" (or three) that isn't harmful to their ability to do the job and can be made to sound like a strength. It reveals nothing about the interviewee other than that they read the same "how to get through an interview" guides that everyone else did. And it's annoying. No sensible person wants to denigrate themselves to a total stranger.

If someone can't type or add up that will be discovered elsewhere in the assessment and if someone is an arsehole that should be brought out elsewhere if the questions are chosen well.

Anyway, apropos Hendo, don't go for weaknesses that aren't weaknesses of the "Sometimes I care *too* much" variety, that's too obvious. Inconsequential and "but I'm working on it" is what they want to hear.
Oct 2015
12:51pm, 6 Oct 2015
1,200 posts
  •  
Spleen
Elsie Too: The version of the story I was told was of a rugby-loving interviewer at Cambridge University. If you caught the ball you were in, if you dropped the ball you were out, and if you caught and drop-kicked it into the wastepaper basket you got a scholarship. It's obviously apocryphal but I wouldn't be surprised if it has genuinely happened somewhere.

It's exactly the kind of imaginative nonsense that certain interviewers come up with because they are bored of asking sensible questions like "why do you want to work here" and "give me an example of something you personally achieved at your last job" (and variants thereof).
Oct 2015
1:01pm, 6 Oct 2015
11,270 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I'm not saying the weakness questions are good ones, just that they are likely to be asked. Getting beyond prepared answers is the key,filling in the gaps between what people think you want to hear and how they respond when challenged to think beyond that.
Oct 2015
1:02pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,524 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Can you do any good impressions?
Oct 2015
1:07pm, 6 Oct 2015
1,521 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
Is that how you would recruit your dream team to manage this site fetch?
D2
Oct 2015
1:09pm, 6 Oct 2015
7,239 posts
  •  
D2
What was it about our company that encouraged you to apply for this post?
How would you get to know / enthuse your new team? supplementary question; is it important?
Oct 2015
1:25pm, 6 Oct 2015
511 posts
  •  
Roberto
First question my friend got asked for a teaching job was ''Cat or dog?''. He answered dog which afterwards they told him was the correct answer.
Oct 2015
1:46pm, 6 Oct 2015
6,225 posts
  •  
lammo
If somebody opened up an interview like that i'd be very tempted to get up and walk out without saying a word.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elsie Too
I have a friend that has not had a job interview for 15 years and I'm trying to help her prepare fo...