High WAVA/high performance thread?

35 watchers
Mar 2012
10:49am, 3 Mar 2012
3,014 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
Aha, I was searching for an 80+ WAVA thread, and here it is! I haven't quite bagged one yet, but that is my aim. Currently my highest is 78.37 from a 5k in week 7 of marathon training this year.

My WAVAs for shorter distances are usually higher than for HM and Mara, although I much prefer the longer races. Also I tend to place higher in longer races. My 5k and 10k PBs aren't on Po10 due to having the wrong licenses or being MT, but my 2011 ranking for the marathon was 248 for a WAVA of just over 70, compared to 436 for HM with a 75 WAVA score. It's the rankings rather than the WAVAs that really float my boat. Looking at the Fetch rankings for girlies in 2011 I was 19th over 10k, 14th over HM and 8th over the full marathon, despite my WAVA scores going in the opposite direction!

Anyway, I'm looking to make that move up a level and this may be the place to find the inspiration to do so.
Mar 2012
12:13pm, 3 Mar 2012
1,904 posts
  •  
Loca
Hi CC2, Yep, I'm in the same boat as you, better WAVAs at shorter distances but I prefer longer stuff! Hoping to improve my mara PB (and WAVA) at VLM this year.

JEJ thanks for posting your training info. Quite interesting that you only did marathon specific stuff in the last few weeks. Did you do the time you were aiming for at the marathon? In hindsight, would you do anything differently?

I seem to have got into a habit of doing a 23/24 miler almost every weekend in the early part of marathon training, but I'm not sure that is the best for me. It seems to work for Controversial and I'm running my long runs with him. Pace/effort-wise it's a breeze for him and although not difficult for me it does take a bit out of me. But the alternative of long runs on my own is not that appealing either!
Mar 2012
12:52pm, 3 Mar 2012
3,016 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
My tactic for the long runs is to contact local runners with similar marathon times and invite them on runs! Also I try to persuade non-marathon runners to join me for part of the run. Last weekend we had a group of 6 from two different running clubs. Two only did 14 miles and the rest of us did 20 - 22 depending on our schedules. Sadly I was the one doing 22 so did the last couple on my own, but that's better than 22 alone!
JEJ
Mar 2012
11:11pm, 3 Mar 2012
941 posts
  •  
JEJ
Loca - that must have been you out with Contro who I've seen on the occasional Sunday morning in Richmond Park... I run with a group from Robin Hood Gate which includes some very high WAVAs (often joined by somebody with a 97%+).

Of the group, John McFarlane swears by running a 20 mile run almost every week of the year. It's probably no coincidence that whilst our 5km times are similar, he's managed a 2:17 marathon and I haven't.

When I ran the marathon I posted training for (Amsterdam), I accepted that I was never going to translate 5km speed into an equivilant marathon performance (low 2:20s should have been a perfect conversion) so set a target pace of running 3:30 / km; a little slower than my tempo runs. Actual 5km splits were 17:34, 17:21, 17:28, 17:31, 17:38, 17:40, 17:34, 18:00 up to 40km so I was close, but the seconds added up and I ended up about a minute over ideal target. Still very pleased with the run given the build up though. Hard to say what would have happened had I ran with the group which split around a minute ahead of me.

When I ran the 2009 London marathon my build-up consisted of more long runs but slightly fewer miles (I was in NYC almost every weekend so sleeping off a lot of jet lag and losing running time in transit!). I'll pull it out for comparison when I have some time. In that race I struggled from about 22 miles. I think it was either my 30km or 35km split which was almost identical to Amsterdam, but I lost 3 minutes in the run home. Sore quads and calf muscles were the main cause - I had energy left, but it was too painful to maintain pace. Conversely in Amsterdam my pace only declined when I went along with a surge from a guy in the group (which was breaking up) just before 35km. After about 1km I regretted going with the pace and the sensible part of my brain told me to back off a little and ensure the sub 2:30. I can see from the race video that I ran the final 100m in 15-16s so must have had a little energy left.
I think the track work I put in prior to the marathon specific phase really helped avoid the quad / calf issues that I've hit in every other marathon I've raced.

With extra time I'd have added at least another 3 or 4 runs of 22 - 24 miles, and of those at most one of which would have been an additional 'steady'.
Mar 2012
9:54pm, 11 Mar 2012
3,037 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
It's gone quiet on here. Boing!

10k last week was a bit of a disaster. The weather ruled out any attempt at an 80 WAVA score. In fact it ruled out any sort of half decent time. However I did win the race, which counts for something I suppose.
Mar 2012
9:59pm, 12 Mar 2012
1,925 posts
  •  
Loca
Well done on the win CC2. Personally I think summer time is a much more favourable time of year for setting good times at 10km.

Interesting what you say JEJ about the track helping to avoid sore muscles during the marathon. All the more reason for me to make sure I don't miss any track sessions in the few weeks! :-)
Mar 2012
11:09pm, 12 Mar 2012
330 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Managed to creep over the 80 threshold Sunday after stalling at 79 for a couple of years, so I guess I now qualify for the thread. Plus I love to waste the hours between training runs in learning from the experience of other runners.
Mar 2012
11:37pm, 12 Mar 2012
3,976 posts
  •  
Smout
I'm creeping closer this year... but will continue to lurk for now :)
Mar 2012
4:43pm, 13 Mar 2012
1,926 posts
  •  
Loca
Smout, you have made some big improvements over the last couple of years? What is your plan for VLM? Big PB? :-)

I would really like to bring my marathon WAVA in line with some of my short distance WAVAs. There is still an outside chance I can do it at VLM. Have put a bit more effort into my training over the last few weeks, even been to the track, 3 times so far which already beats my 2011 total number of track workouts of 2!!
Mar 2012
8:24pm, 15 Mar 2012
3,980 posts
  •  
Smout
Thanks Loca :) Aye - 3:12 is the target I set myself (well Sub 3:15 but I liked the sound of 7:20s) as the year started. No sure I have enough base in me to aim faster but Sub 3 is on the list for the future......

About This Thread

Maintained by Loca
Ok, I know there are plenty of threads around to help and support people reach a race goal, sub 3hr ...