Help my glasses are steaming up

6 watchers
Nov 2015
6:14pm, 8 Nov 2015
649 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Hello all, I am hoping someone can offer me some advice, I have had to admit defeat and start wearing my glasses when I run, I have worn glasses for about 4 years but not for running. I am ok for about a mile and then as soon as I get hot they steam up and then I can't see anything, others must have come across this, any tips please?
Nov 2015
6:30pm, 8 Nov 2015
12,326 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Mine only steam up when I stop, and then I just take them off and wipe them :-) Not sure if there's any way to stop them steaming up while you're running.
Nov 2015
6:39pm, 8 Nov 2015
20,202 posts
  •  
halfpint
This may sound daft but I find when my sunglasses steam up then pulling them a wee bit down my nose to let the air circulate better sorts them out. Worth a try!
Nov 2015
6:39pm, 8 Nov 2015
8,227 posts
  •  
Columba
You can get a special coating put on them (have to pay for it, of course), - doesn't stop them steaming up, but it does mean they clear quickly. (Like LD's, my glasses only steam up when I stop running).
Nov 2015
6:40pm, 8 Nov 2015
11,620 posts
  •  
HowFar?
Isn't saliva supposed to stop them steaming up?
Nov 2015
7:26pm, 8 Nov 2015
9,223 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I amlike LD...mine steam up usually on stopping and last weeks intervals on a misty evening were particularlt bad,so was theend of parkrun in the drizzle after I had finished. They cleared again when I started my warm down.

I do find that when its raining if I wear a cap to keep the worst of the rain off that helps, only in the worst rain does itget so bad that I haveto resort to running without glasses as that blurred vision is better than steamed glasses
Nov 2015
7:33pm, 8 Nov 2015
650 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Thanks so far, I had to take mine off 3 mile into a 6 mile run today as they steamed up so bad. It would have been more dangerous for me to carry on running with them on than leaving them off! ha ha.
HowFar? might be worth a try he he
Nov 2015
7:34pm, 8 Nov 2015
8,230 posts
  •  
Columba
I normally wear a cap in the rain but that's no good if it's windy (as it was today) as the cap blows off. The cap (if it doesn't blow off) keeps the rain off, but doesn't seem to prevent the steaming.

No way could I run without glasses. I would risk missing potholes, bits of twig, lumpy bits of ground etc.
Nov 2015
7:36pm, 8 Nov 2015
651 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Bazoaxe, when I set off today it was dry, didn't take my cap, I usually do if its raining. I might be just better off not being about to see clearly and go without
Nov 2015
7:37pm, 8 Nov 2015
9,224 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
its a real bummer and the colder weather seems to make things worse, especially when damp as well

About This Thread

Maintained by NellyMarcos
Hello all, I am hoping someone can offer me some advice, I have had to admit defeat and start wearin...