Contact lens question

8 watchers
Feb 2021
11:13am, 21 Feb 2021
13,431 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
This has been one of my reasons not to have them & why I would probably prefer monthlies so good to know they can be recycled, do they take the contacts as well or just the containers & boxes?
Feb 2021
11:14am, 21 Feb 2021
2,377 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've been wearing contact lenses to correct my distance vision (-2.0, -2.5) for over 30 years. "Hard" lenses (RGP) for most of that time until my reading vision started to go. I tried multifocal RGPs but just found them really uncomfortable to wear. Then I switched to daily disposables and have had no comfort problems since.

My optician suggested having a "reading" prescription in one lens and a "distance" spec in the other as the brain would adapt to use the dominant eye for each task. I don't like the idea as I think that good perception of "depth of field" come from having two good eyes; good DoF perception is important for judging the speed of moving objects; as a motorcyclist, it horrifies me that there might be loads of old drivers out there than can only really see out of one good eye, hence have poor DoF perception and hence might pull out from a junction into my path! :-0

Back to lenses, I felt my old RGP ones gave sharper vision than daily disposables and once you start adding in multifocal reading adjustment, all specs become a bit of a compromise - you have to sacrifice a bit of distance sharpness for reasonable reading sharpness. In any event, in poor light I really struggle to read newsprint and books - only in the last two years have I come to understand why there are so many ads for "proper reading lights" in the weekend newspapers!

I go to the optician for regular checkups but buy my lenses online in 90-day batches from Pure Optical.
Feb 2021
8:31pm, 21 Feb 2021
13,434 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Well my magnifying mirror decided to fall and break all by itself today so this will make my contact lens in & out more interesting tomorrow.
Feb 2021
1:25pm, 23 Feb 2021
13,465 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Update after my review.

My contact went in both days this week yesterday my eyes were dry but we put that down to hot tub on Sunday.

So went down and said it’s been very mixed explained the lost lens, one falling out of (it seemed) it’s own accord, feeling irritated and the balance that when it’s settled it’s working ok.

So I now have a further test with more of these lenses and 2 other types to see whether I find one better than the others.

She also said I should go for a +1.50 for computer work and +2 for reading so I’ve been to Poundland and bought some to also see how I find swapping between glasses.

Can’t ask for much more really with the numbers I have and that I only use them mon-thurs it is giving me around 3 months to trial.
Feb 2021
2:18pm, 23 Feb 2021
13,468 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Took my lens out which was mildly irritating and put on my +1.5 glasses and I can read the computer and closer so well!
Feb 2021
5:50pm, 27 Feb 2021
5,838 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Trialling multifocal lenses which would help me to read better while wearing distance lenses. Very comfortable but neither distance or close up is suitably focused. Optician has asked me to use all day for five days which could be interesting as I am currently working seven hours a day on a laptop.

Will probably revert back to using distance lenses for social, sport or running and varifocal and PC glasses where required. We'll see by next weekend (pardon the pun)!
Feb 2021
6:12pm, 27 Feb 2021
13,541 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
It’s so difficult isnt is SP I have been able to read with glasses and see clearly it seems I’m now destined to live in a fuzzy world if I’ve got eye assistance on.

I also think 5 days is not that long to make a decision.
Mar 2021
9:24am, 22 Mar 2021
842 posts
  •  
🔴⚪️honestmackem🔴⚪️
I have to wear Rigid gas permeable everyday and have done for many years after being diagnosed with keratoconus when I was in my early 20s. I used to wear daily lenses in my teens but my prescription kept changing and that was when I was told I had keratoconus. At first I couldn’t wear hard lenses as they were so uncomfortable so had to wear a soft lens with the RGP over the top! I now only wear a hard lens as the soft lens wasn’t really helping the cornea. Occasionally one of them can irritate my eye but I have learned to thoroughly clean it - and for a short time cope with only one lens in my eyes.
Mar 2021
9:26am, 22 Mar 2021
843 posts
  •  
🔴⚪️honestmackem🔴⚪️
.....I do still wear glasses though too, and tend to when running as lenses make my eyes water a lot in windy conditions!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
Not sure if I’m asking for advice or shared experiences or ponderings but I find the collective fe...