Contact lens question

8 watchers
MH
Feb 2021
6:55pm, 19 Feb 2021
822 posts
  •  
MH
Garfield - speak to your optometrist about monovision for the contact lenses (instead of just ordering lower power lenses for both eyes). You correct the dominant eye for distance and under-correct the less dominant eye for near vision - your brain sorts its out for you. It's a good way to deal with the start of age related presbyopia when you wear lenses for myopia.

Regarding drops, I quite like Systane and you can put a drop on the lens before you put it in, rather than just later in the day. (believe it or not I did a clinical trial on that too....)
Feb 2021
7:03pm, 19 Feb 2021
5,803 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
azx, the general way of getting them out is to slide the lens onto the white of the eye before gently remove it. That was probably not the answer you're after!

I think I had some issues in the early days too which may have had something to do with putting a finger in eye which made me blink more than I needed to. It is something that you will get accustomed to doing in due course, so don't worry.
MH
Feb 2021
7:18pm, 19 Feb 2021
823 posts
  •  
MH
There are a couple of ways azx - you can just use the 'front on' method which I think most people use, but there are other ways for those with long nails (bit fiddly) or where you slide it across your eye to remove.
Were you able to do it OK whilst you were at the optometrist? They should have been happy that you could do it first.

Also, maybe get a magnifying mirror whilst you practice, as this will allow you to 'see' the lens a bit better.
Feb 2021
7:44pm, 19 Feb 2021
13,578 posts
  •  
Badger
How are you doing it now, azx? My optician taught me one way and when I told him I was having trouble with it, showed me what Phil described which was much easier for me.
That's for soft lenses - I never really got the grip with gas permeables, first time at home I thought they'd permanently stuck to my eyeballs before I finally managed to get them out.
azx
Feb 2021
8:27pm, 19 Feb 2021
31 posts
  •  
azx
So I tried twice at specsavers under supervision and gave up. I got one out on each of the two visits, but by pure luck/accident really. They haven't signed me off as grown-up enough to do it on my own yet. Thanks for the suggestions.
MsG
Feb 2021
9:01pm, 19 Feb 2021
1,810 posts
  •  
MsG
I do the slide to one side as well. Weirdly I've found it easier to slide them both to the left (left eye to outer edge, right eye to inner edge).

GG, I wonder if wearing one lens could make it harder to stabilise the blink rate? I wear mine for work, which is hours of microscopy. The task means I blink less which can be a problem with lenses. Mine are daily toric soft with high water content and are generally ok. I've worn them for overnight riding, so they've been in for up to 16 hours (18 on one occasion!).
Feb 2021
9:11pm, 19 Feb 2021
192 posts
  •  
Limegreenjelly
I’m short sighted in my right eye! I’ve been wearing one contact lens for 33 years! I wear daily disposables, mine is called acuvue moist for ‘dry’ eyes! My cl is for distance, I read without my glasses as I’m almost 51 and I can just see better to read without glasses and I don’t like varifocals. I wear distance glasses most of the time and cls for running! You do get used to wearing one!
Feb 2021
8:33am, 20 Feb 2021
15,176 posts
  •  
richmac
I slide mine down till I find the lip of my eye socket thing, apply a bit of pressure and it folds up and pops out
Feb 2021
11:50am, 20 Feb 2021
19,681 posts
  •  
flanker
I've got no idea how I take mine out! I think I just pinch them.

Very occasionally, if my eyes are v dry they'll stick, but I find that my first attempt will make my eyes water, so I then just have to wait a few minutes and they come out easily.

The continuous wear lenses are great for multi-day ultras :-). (although I do also carry a couple of spares, as I'd hate to have to DNF because I'd had one fall out!)
Feb 2021
1:06pm, 20 Feb 2021
13,425 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I’m heading to the shops so I’ve put a contact lens in. Daft question if it was inside out could I see with it? I can see great but it feels weird.

It keeps getting stuck on my finger so swapping from taking it out it’s container to getting it on my finger to put it in a drama.

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
Not sure if I’m asking for advice or shared experiences or ponderings but I find the collective fe...