getting back on the horse - avoiding shin splints again

1 watcher
Mar 2014
3:04pm, 19 Mar 2014
11 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Hi there. After having to stop running after only two weeks due to unbelievably painful shin splints (I cried!), it's taken two months for the pain to go away. I'm now back on my training schedule - Couch to 5K - and on week two again.

This is what I'm doing to try and avoid the shin splints coming back - am I doing the right thing and is there anything else I should be doing?

- exercising on grass, not hard surfaces as before
- wearing compression calf supports
- having a hot bath on return, followed by icing my lower legs

Many thanks for any feedback and advice!
Mar 2014
3:24pm, 19 Mar 2014
10,215 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Understand how shin splints occur and what you are doing to promote them. Change the way you run.
Mar 2014
8:32am, 20 Mar 2014
14 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Well, I'm no expert, even after researching online as much as I can, but all I can presume is that they were caused by doing too much too fast on a hard surface, which I'm already now addressing.
Mar 2014
8:47am, 20 Mar 2014
10,690 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Good luck.

Just build up slowly.
Mar 2014
9:24am, 20 Mar 2014
15 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Thanks Ultracat :)
Mar 2014
10:23am, 20 Mar 2014
10,218 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
It is said (and I'm deliberately not saying it's correct because I don't know, but it makes sense to me) that if you tense the muscles at the front of your shins, in order to lift up the front of your foot before it hits the ground, and while they are still tense you yank them by hitting the ground with your heel, that that is very bad for those muscles.
Mar 2014
10:35am, 20 Mar 2014
16 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Crikey, that's a lot of brain fodder for this time of day! So essentially you need to try and keep the shin area muscles relaxed as you drop your foot to the floor. I might have to practise that one a bit around the house....
Mar 2014
10:54am, 20 Mar 2014
10,220 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Learn what your body is doing at each part of a step, and see if it's fighting itself.

If you're like me, what I wrote above could take months to understand!
Mar 2014
10:54am, 20 Mar 2014
17 posts
  •  
somersetslob
I had to read it about times just to start to figure it out ;)
Mar 2014
11:07am, 20 Mar 2014
7 posts
  •  
HowHardCanItBe
As per ChrisHB - understanding how/why they've occurred. Plus daily strengthening exercises as prevention.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi there. After having to stop running after only two weeks due to unbelievably painful shin splints...