Shins

1 watcher
Feb 2014
8:40am, 26 Feb 2014
15,431 posts
  •  
DeeGee
To be honest, part of it is a panic that I've identified Kent Roadrunner as my 50th marathon, made plans, and now need to tick the last few off. Any niggle's putting me on edge - it's like massive taper madness.
Feb 2014
8:52am, 26 Feb 2014
28,058 posts
  •  
swittle
It strikes me, DeeGee, that, if the niggles you're feeling now appear in Kent, the risk is that they'll be magnified and could affect your race. Your commitment & drive go without saying but think in the medium-to-longer term of your other running objectives this year.

Hope you're mended soon.
Feb 2014
9:22am, 26 Feb 2014
15,433 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I understand what you're saying, Swittle.

The next 12 weeks are purely about making it to the start line in Gravesend (and there is a backup plan if I should have to bin a "long run"). I have no plans in terms of performances other than completion. I'll walk if I have to.

After that, if I need to, I can sit back, put my feet up, take a full month or more off with no concerns, recover properly, and then train "properly" for a stab at a PB in Berlin. I haven't "done" recovery in the past, and I know I'm at my limit, endurance-wise, but it's just this final push.

That was always my plan for this year. There are risks, but this is the first time I've ever had more than a couple of days off due to injury and it's an odd feeling.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Before we start, I know the answer is going to contain the word "rest". I am doing, believe it or ...