getting back on the horse - avoiding shin splints again

1 watcher
Mar 2014
11:08am, 20 Mar 2014
18 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Thanks - that reminds me to go do some heel walking!
Mar 2014
11:51am, 20 Mar 2014
565 posts
  •  
Not so Lazytoad!
Have your shoes checked out too to make sure they are offering the support/protection they should be. Injuries can be caused by the wrong shoes.
Mar 2014
12:03pm, 20 Mar 2014
1,480 posts
  •  
Old Man
Correct shoes are absolutely vital, also don't over do the training in the first few weeks, twice a week for 20/30 mins of run/walk for the first three weeks is enough
Mar 2014
3:49pm, 20 Mar 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
willb
Hi - a recommendation I saw on a different site which worked for me was to use a foam roller on the back of your lower leg (the base of the soleus muscle - below the calf but above the ankle). Sit on the floor and put one leg on the roller, then cross the other leg over at the ankle for extra weight and roll back and forth (about 5cm) for a couple of minutes. Switch legs and build up to 3 sets.

Yes, this is my first post - ever.
Mar 2014
4:26pm, 20 Mar 2014
19 posts
  •  
somersetslob
Thanks folks!

I've got brand new shoes which I bought at a triathlon shop after having my gait analysed (I didn't have these to start with the first time I started training, but have used them for my second attempt).

Thanks for the advise willb - I've been looking at those on Amazon actually, so will give that a go! (cheers for using your first post on my thread :) )

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi there. After having to stop running after only two weeks due to unbelievably painful shin splints...