Garmin thoughts 305 vs 235?

3 watchers
Jan 2018
12:44pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,307 posts
  •  
TnoP
I need some advice please. I've had a Garmin 305 for about 5 years now and it has always served me well (although I only use the basic functionality and know I could do more with it)

I was bought a new Garmin 235 for my birthday recently and my first instinct is to send it back and use the money for other kit...BUT I also realise that technology has come on so much and it probably will be be far more funky than my current watch. It seems from reviews that it is part running watch, part fitbit as well?

so, advice please. Do you have a 235 and should I keep mine?

Thanks
Jan 2018
1:21pm, 6 Jan 2018
1,414 posts
  •  
Goofee
I have had a 235 for just over a year and think it's the best running watch I have ever had. I disabled the steps nonsense straight away so don't get it hassling me about that stuff. I love the data it gives me, and also the ability to set minimum/maximum pace or heart rate for a run. The best bit for me, though, is that it uploads automatically, finish the run, it talks to my phone and everything is already on Fetch when I look at my laptop.
Jan 2018
1:50pm, 6 Jan 2018
8,122 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I love my 235, I must be honest I do use it mainly as a pure running watch but I love the wrist based HRM and that I get recovery recommendation.

I have it set up for notifications which is good as I don't often hear my phone ring but it can be turned off.

As Goofee says it automatically uploads the run/activity and for me that is a big plus. I have live track switched on so hubby knows where I am when I'm running - i'm prone to disappearing on a different route to I set out on and it gives me a bit of security that if anything happened he knows where I am (maybe a girl thing but with an allergy to anaesthetic its good to know if I had a bad fall he should notice)
Jan 2018
4:01pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,687 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’m curious to know what a 235 would give me over my current 220 (apart from the wrist heart rate).

Live track sounds interesting, presumably you need a phone with you to make that work?
Jan 2018
4:20pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,459 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
FDNB - dcrainmaker.com

Some of the highlights are :
- 235 is a smart watch, ie can get emails/texts/calls/fb/etc notifications from phone
- can customise watch face and add new apps, data fields ( eg OS Grid Ref )
- tracks steps, sleep, etc
- VO2 max, Race Predictor, Recovery Advisor
- Optical Heart Rate Monitor
Jan 2018
4:38pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,688 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks Gus. Looks like my current watch does live track and I never knew! Must look into that.

It doesn’t look like the extra stuff would be of enough value to me to be worth upgrading.
Jan 2018
6:02pm, 6 Jan 2018
2,460 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
There's strong rumours of a 245 ( and 645 ) to be announced in next few weeks, so you may get the 235 cheaper than it is at the moment.

Some of the things rumoured to be included ( but not sure which on 245 and which on 645 ) are : music storage and playback with wireless headphones, running power meter, Garmin Pay ( ie pay in shops with your watch ), barometric altimeter,..............

The only one that really interests me is the altimeter so watch would be more useful for nagigation on hill days. A 235 with barometric altimeter would do me nicely :-)
Jan 2018
6:15pm, 6 Jan 2018
1,606 posts
  •  
FurryH
I have the 235 and its an excellent watch. I had the 310xt before that and was a bit miffed with the reduction in battery life. Plus points, will sync with your phone so normally if I've gone for a run it will have uploaded it before Im out of the shower.

It will also take apps. Now I didnt think I would ever use this function but Ive not been runing for a couple of months so bought an ellptical trainer. for a couple of quid I got an app from the garmin website and downloaded to the watch and it tracks those workouts too throuh the movement of my arm.

It will take a bit of time to get use to the buttons on the 235 but I havent gone back to the 310xt. It also locks on a lot quicker than the older garmins so your are off and running quicker.
Jan 2018
1,607 posts
  •  
FurryH
I have the 235 and its an excellent watch. I had the 310xt before that and was a bit miffed with the reduction in battery life. Plus points, will sync with your phone so normally if I've gone for a run it will have uploaded it before Im out of the shower.

It will also take apps. Now I didnt think I would ever use this function but Ive not been runing for a couple of months so bought an ellptical trainer. for a couple of quid I got an app from the garmin website and downloaded to the watch and it tracks those workouts too throuh the movement of my arm.

It will take a bit of time to get use to the buttons on the 235 but I havent gone back to the 310xt. It also locks on a lot quicker than the older garmins so your are off and running quicker.
Jan 2018
1,608 posts
  •  
FurryH

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TnoP
I need some advice please. I've had a Garmin 305 for about 5 years now and it has always served...