Garmin forerunner 10

2 watchers
Apr 2018
2:04pm, 2 Apr 2018
2,367 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I was very disappointed on Sunday. I had fully charged my watch overnight only for the battery to run out after 3:30 hours (20 miles into a marathon). Three weeks previous, it just about held on until I finished a marathon in 4:55.

Over the past year, the battery has tended to give up within the final mile on several occasions. Apart from me not being quick enough, is the problem with the watch or just my watch?
Aug 2019
1:05pm, 20 Aug 2019
3,121 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Recently, it has taken much longer for the GPS to kick in prior to a run, even in locations where I can normally pick up a signal quite well. Is this commonplace or is the watch on its way out?
Aug 2019
1:32pm, 20 Aug 2019
13,941 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I don't know the 10, but that certainly started to happen to my 110. Is there an update you maybe need?
Aug 2019
3:45pm, 20 Aug 2019
8,343 posts
  •  
larkim
I doubt the 10 will be getting any updates, and the satellites haven't moved! (Well, no more than they are supposed to!)

Factory reset always an option. I suppose it's possible the battery is losing voltage a bit so the chip isn't functioning as well as it should, but broadly a GPS chip shouldn't run out or perform less well as it ages.
Aug 2019
4:50pm, 20 Aug 2019
13,943 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Just remembered that clearing the memory always helped with my 110
Aug 2019
5:10pm, 20 Aug 2019
15,062 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I've got a 10. Signals still pick up fine. The battery seems a little quicker to drain these days - but AL's right clearing the memory helps.
Aug 2019
8:11pm, 20 Aug 2019
3,122 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks for everyone's advice. I need to get a replacement strap so at least that's a bit cheaper than getting a new Garmin.
Jan 2020
9:27am, 5 Jan 2020
3,434 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
This morning 'Getting Location' took a couple of minutes but eventually found me. So I hit start and off I went, only to discover that my distance remained on zero. The timer was fine. The accumulated mileage was only being added sporadically. So much so, that I felt that I could not rely on it for distance purposes.

After I got home, I had to measure my distance which I discovered to be two miles short of what I actually ran. Am I right in thinking that I need to reset my Garmin to factory settings or is there another solution?
Mar 2021
4:10pm, 14 Mar 2021
5,927 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Despite usually taking an eternity to locate me, this weekend's long run was no problem. Why can't it always be like that?

Just got back from a walk with my daughter to find that the measured distance was not even close. The 0.7 miles around the block was apparently 1.15 miles. I can understand a few 1/100ths here and there but that was very strange.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gooner
Just a quick one folks, my mate is planning on getting a Garmin on a budget and he's looked at the ...