From a Low and Quiet Sea - Book Group March 2019 discussion thread

8 watchers
Feb 2019
2:47pm, 28 Feb 2019
38,589 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Ace CIA operative Jack Ryan goes undercover with Swedish pirates to unmask a herring smuggling ring. Can he find the ringleader, the mysterious Captain Birdseye, in time to stop the end of ... what's that? Donal Ryan? Not Jack Ryan?

Oh.

Start again.

Ace CIA operative Donal Ryan goes undercover with Swedish pirates...
Feb 2019
2:52pm, 28 Feb 2019
38,592 posts
  •  
McGoohan
This be the thread to discuss Donal's book. Ar. So it be. And be ye afeared o' sailing o'er the edge of the world, for here be spoilers...
Mar 2019
8:30am, 7 Mar 2019
34,847 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Half way through... I'm not really enjoying it that much so far.
I didn't like the fairy tale homilies of the first section, and now it's turned into Roddy Doyle. There's nothing wrong with Roddy Doyle, per se, but I've read enough of that short of shite in the past to last me a lifetime, yer bollix, so I have, will you bring me another book and soon?
Mar 2019
8:31am, 7 Mar 2019
38,700 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Steady now
Mar 2019
9:01am, 7 Mar 2019
5,725 posts
  •  
postieboy
It's a book that won't win any prizes for grammer or punctuation, that's for sure.
Mar 2019
12:44pm, 7 Mar 2019
14,134 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am finding it tough as well. First section I thought was a good concept but its now finished with two other as yet unrelated stories. the 2nd of which doesn't seem to really be any more than an interesting tale, to follow which I assume get linked.
Mar 2019
6:06pm, 7 Mar 2019
5,726 posts
  •  
postieboy
Thanks to getting a puncture at work and waiting over 3 and a half hours a mechanic to replace the flat tire, I've just finished it.

I was impressed with the range of current and relevent topics he managed to convey in the story such as the plight of refugees and mental health.

On the negative side, the second part with Lampy was difficult to follow, there was a poetic flow to it but at times it felt like too much of a jumble. As for the end, a bit abrupt with the finally linking story almost an afterthought?

A heartfelt and melancholy story, I give it my thumbs up. A better book than my choice from January! 👍
Mar 2019
8:28am, 8 Mar 2019
34,880 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I enjoyed this book the longer it went on. The third section about John was by far the best, the writing and insight at another level to the rest of the book. Perhaps this was because it featured one of the most unpleasant men you'll ever meet whereas the other stories were quite folksy and romanticised, even if they did also feature a fair amount of tragedy and death. One of my favourite characters was the compassionate and randy Mrs Coyne, that was one the heart-warming parts.
Mar 2019
8:32am, 8 Mar 2019
38,724 posts
  •  
McGoohan
So having despatched Unquenchable Fire at last, I'm on part one of FALAQS. Thankfully Farouk and his family have just got on a boat. Phew. I was worried about them. At least nothing bad will happen now...
Mar 2019
8:49am, 8 Mar 2019
14,140 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Its just like a holiday cruise around the Med McGoohan....sipping cocktails and watching the dolphins......

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Ace CIA operative Jack Ryan goes undercover with Swedish pirates to unmask a herring smuggling ring....