Fetch modellers - model cars, trains, lego, meccano, airfix etc. :-)

15 watchers
Jan 2021
12:39pm, 29 Jan 2021
37,369 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Really wish I'd chosen a different name for this thread like the Sniffin Glue thread title Groundhog came up with! Such fun. :-) G
Mar 2021
2:33pm, 2 Mar 2021
37,880 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just bought a new speed controller and motor for one of my cars. 90 quid. This is cheap. I could have paid upwards of £100 for each!

Want to know more about what they are and what they do? Feel free to ask! :-) G
Mar 2021
9:43am, 3 Mar 2021
498 posts
  •  
icenutter
Something special?
Mar 2021
9:59am, 3 Mar 2021
37,887 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Not really icenutter, I was just trying to see if anyone was reading.

I might have c*cked up, actually! I bought Hobbywing which is a good brand, and got a mid range ESC, but it might be that the motor is under powered.

Brushless motors are normally rated in "turns" (something to do with how the rotor is wound) and lower is better. So 5.5 Turn is faster than 13.5 Turn. But this range of Hobbywing motors is rated in kV (kilo Volts) which is effectively rpm per volt. The options were 3200, 4000 and 5400. I went for the biggest but it might only be the equivalent of and 8.5T, when I needed it to be 7.5T or even 6.5T.

I guess I'll find out when I install them. :-) G
Mar 2021
2:00pm, 3 Mar 2021
37,892 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thinking about getting a new body shell to paint for the 4WD. Partly to feel that it's all new for 2021. Partly just because painting them is fun!

Need to do some taking apart to put the new motor and ESC in. I'm such a woose! That will mean buying some replacement screws and things so that I can put new screws in when old ones come out. Sometimes you can get them out but they're pretty worn. Screwed, actually! :-) G
Mar 2021
2:01pm, 3 Mar 2021
37,893 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Would you believe just the clear bit of plastic is £27?! I might go for a cheaper version that is £15 for the shell and wing. Hope I don't regret it.
Mar 2021
9:31am, 4 Mar 2021
500 posts
  •  
icenutter
RC stuff does seem to be stunningly expensive!
Mar 2021
9:52am, 4 Mar 2021
37,897 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've ordered the cheaper one, hope that will be OK and not some cheap knock off!

It depends on level icenutter. There are ready to run packages for £100 that aren't bad. It's just the stuff I use for racing that is upwards of £500. As with anything, you get what you pay for!

If you are happy to experiment, there are brands that are cheaper copies of everything - so £10 or £15 for an ESC, for a motor etc which is theoretically same spec as ones that are £50 from a major brand. I started with some of those. They blew up, but they lasted a year!

The second hand models that I have bought can be as little as £100 or £150 then add the electrics for £100 to £150. Then you need the radio transmitter and receiver which is min of £100 new and better set ups that would be £300 new you can get for £100 - £150 second hand. So we're at around £300-£450 so far. Then if you race you need a transponder (lap timer / counter). They are £75 and have to be compatible with the timing equipment so can't really save on that.

The transmitter of course you can buy just one of and then add cars. I'm up to 3 cars and 2 transmitters so far! :-) G
Mar 2021
10:41am, 5 Mar 2021
37,908 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, my new ESC and motor have arrived. Got quite a bit of work to do now to remove motor from one and ESC from the other of the two cars. Fun! :-) G
Mar 2021
2:51pm, 15 Mar 2021
37,997 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Still haven't swapped them out, 10 days on. And bizarrely, lockdown easing and 15 people can meet for outdoor organised sport, means car racing may be restarting soon. I need to get these cars rebuilt!! :-O

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I can't believe that we've got Crafts, Gardening, Computer Games, but not model cars, trains...!

Just don't call them toys!

My particular hobby was 1/10th scale radio controlled car racing. I'm now looking to get into radio controlled planes. We have some Airfix model builders in here and Lego builders too. Any type of model vehicles really! Planes, trains, automobiles... boats, helicopters, anything! Come join in! :-) G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.